Thread: The ol' Tahoe is down for the count - coolant in cylinder(s)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I would look at the valve seats in the 95 heads....If the seats are not cracked....run them...

The 97 block looks great....

As I mentioned before...be sure to run the 97 oil pump (High volume)

Check the deck on that banged up head.....If it is flat....I would use it as is....A good "True" straight edge and a skinny feeler gauge.....see if it is warped....

Cutting the head is quite doable....But on the 6.2/6.5 the valve recess is important....Cutting the heads can lead to starting issues.

I am not sure why this is...but IIRC after reading a service bulletin some years back....I read about this anomaly...

I have run heads that make yours look pristine........

Also I would say to replace the one valve with a fresh one and lap it in....The others are all happy.... If it ain't broke ya know... Just clean things up and remove any carbon buildup on the valve heads.....Then check the seat contact with prussian blue... (https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...gQIARBB&adurl=

If the contact is good....run it. Really no sense in making yourself more work.....
    With the seat clean and a thin smear of blue on the valve seat....Slide the valve in an lightly Tap it on the seat.....Look at the contact pattern on the seat and act accordingly.

I am nervous about that one seat after getting thrashed as it did.

Looks good

Should prove to be a pretty good engine .....

(ADDITION)
    I found this excerpt from an article that spoke of the valve recess

Pushrods for this engine are specific in their orientation in the engine. They have a very specific difference in their hardness from end-to-end. The side with a paint stripe or copper coloring must go to the rocker arm side or the top of the engine. Failure to install the push rods correctly will result in premature engine failure without question. Valve recession for both the intake and exhaust valves is .034″ – .048″ – being outside of these specs will result in hard starting, white smoking and/or runnability issues.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    The 97 head in the pic needs a date with the mill. The impact damage probably won't be an issue, but it needs to be cleaned up and true.

Yes, I agree. I have the heads loaded up and will get them to the shop this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    I am nervous about that one seat after getting thrashed as it did.

Looks good

Should prove to be a pretty good engine .....

I found this excerpt from an article that spoke of the valve recess
    Valve recession for both the intake and exhaust valves is .034″ – .048″ – being outside of these specs will result in hard starting, white smoking and/or runnability issues.

Thanks for the info. I decided to take the 97 heads to the shop to have them resurfaced and have them go through the valves.

The block deck is nice and flat; the heads... not so much. I think they're within spec, as my GM service manual says .006 is acceptable, and I measured .005 warpage. But there's some pitting I don't care for, and it makes me nervous to try and run them as is.

I also came across this in my GM service manual:

I know that resurfacing can be done (I've done it with success on my old 6.2L), but would I be wise to get the .010 thicker gasket from Felpro to make up for the milling on the heads?

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Quote Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
    ...clip

I also came across this in my GM service manual:

I know that resurfacing can be done (I've done it with success on my old 6.2L), but would I be wise to get the .010 thicker gasket from Felpro to make up for the milling on the heads?

Casey
    The thicker gaskets are more for when decking the block. A good engine shop will reset the valve seat depth and valve stem length when resurfacing the heads. This was done on the Blazer's heads a few months ago, even though the deck surfaces weren't touched (did the seats, adjusted valve stem lengths).

"Valve recession for both the intake and exhaust valves is .034″ – .048″ – being outside of these specs will result in hard starting, white smoking and/or runnability issues." Reads like something from GM and I have no doubt it's accurate and from real world testing. I just don't see how valve recession outside those limits would cause those problems. If they were recessed a little too deep, it would lower compression at TDC and cause hard starting? Surely it couldn't lower compression to that degree with a small amount of recession outside those limits? And white smoke is unburnt fuel. A little extra valve recession causing incomplete combustion?