Both my 2012 and 2016 OE batteries lasted over 7 years, but the 2016 batteries crashed hard about a month ago. I use Interstate as replacements so that puts my 2012 at 4 yrs now and no sign of weakness, leakage, etc. Just the "Good" MTP series.

I have a desulfate option as well as an equalize option on my chargers, but not sure how well that works. In either case I believe disconnecting from the vehicle electrical system is mandatory. I would also run a equalize cycle first or better yet a "dumb" charger to top off as the battery needs to be full in order to run a desulfate if memory serves.

On smart chargers: I like them, but always want a dumb one around in case a battery gets severely drained.

Battery stories from left field:

We have two small Honda ATV's here for the Grandsons. Oldest is 2016 and the battery was replaced when we bought it so it is 2yrs old now MOL. The newest one is 2019 model with what appears to be the OE battery as we've owned it for a couple years now. Both batteries were dead this spring (parked in pole shed) so put on a smart charger that said they were full, but they would not turn over. I ordered a new lithium battery for the older one to test. The idea being that lithium don't care if they are 100% or 50% where lead acid are just not happy below 90% for long term health, so no dicking around with maintainers. Same way I set up my boat. The lithium spins the ATV over perfectly so I ordered another for the second machine. For grins while I was waiting I put my old Schumacher 1-1/2 amp charger on the newer one and and left it for a few days. Now that battery spins it over just fine and no issues. I put the second lithium in my forklift that gets used every couple of years and always has old hand me down batteries that die between uses. Kind of funny a teeny battery that you can hold in the palm of your hand in a fork lift.

If it weren't for cold charging limitations, I might move more of my stuff to lithium.

I built a 24v 280AH lithium into a Milwaukee Packout box to run the cabin. No more worries about having enough sun in winter to keep topped off or adding water in summer. Looks like no way to upload the pic in this particular forum.