Yes, there are folks who've done this. In fact, there was an article in the DP earlier this year about a Suburban...I can't remember who did it. Bobbie Martin has done it, and as he said, is writing an article. Those folks would be better to comment on it than me, but it is doable.

Folks have had to come up with some ingenious ways to hook up the accelerator pedal brackets and cables while still keeping the electronic accelerator pedal position device functioning for the transmission and computer.

My advice would be to fix the engine, then think about whether you really need or want to do the electronic to mechanical conversion. I won't tell you not to do it, but I think you should really think it through first. At this moment, I can say that I doubt that I will ever consider it, and I intend to drive this thing for a long time still.

The reason that I mentioned Kennedy's truck is that it has commonly been assumed that you cannot get high end performance with the DS4 pump. Kennedy's truck is proof that you can. My personal opinion (with not much to back it up) is that more could be had beyond what Kennedy achieved: but then I'm always an optimist about such things. Right now, Kennedy's truck is the lead dog as far as 6.5's go that I'm aware of. I drove it and it really is impressive. The Project Truck is right there with it and is mechanically injected. There is probably more in it too with turbo upgrades and the like. I don't think anyone has really found the limit yet.

My Suburban performs so much better now that I can't believe it. The tinkerer in me keeps wanting more, but it really is impressive. I can now pull with late 90's Powersmoke and Cummins equipped trucks (stock trim). Mine is still the stock compression ratio too. The thing that I can't figure out is why GM didn't do some of this stuff from the factory because the heat management problems have been solved and could have been in original equipment.

Boy, I kind of rambled off the subject a bit. Sorry.