Thread: Light 5th Wheel Recommendation

Question Light 5th Wheel Recommendation

My first post over in the towing forum so forgive if this has been covered. I'm a newbe to travel trailers and my forum searches didn't turn up much. Anyway I'm looking for recommendations for light 5th wheel travel trailers that I can tow with my old body style truck. I rebuilt the 6.2 (see sig.) and it has a bunch of power, rebuilt 700r4, 4.73 gears, etc. But it is still a half ton (has heavier springs on the rear). My wife and I are entering the grandchild stage and want to camp on the Oregon coast and host the little critters in our trailer. Plus we would tow back home over Lookout pass to west and central Montana fairly often in good weather. Any suggestions on what/where to look? Thanks.
    Randy
    2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison Crew

Smile RE: Light 5th wheel

Well Randy, I think its best to see what GM recomended as the max weight that the truck could pull when it was new, regardless of what engine it had. Your post mentioned 4:73 axle ratio?? Did you mean 3:73?? You still have a 1/2 ton truck regardless of what engine you now have. You still need a safe, not over weight truck, with enough brakes to stop you. Look at what you can legally pull or haul, then start looking at a trailer in that weight range.
    Tom McCauley (DP Member #513)
    "Tankers-ToyII" Loaded 05 D/A K-3500 CC, SRW. Deep pan on Allison w/Transyn. Edge Juice w/attitude, 4" Kennedy exhaust, 98 Gal. Transfer-Flow cross bed fuel tank, Leer 100XQ bed cap. Reese 14,000lb class V hitch w/ dual cam HP sway control. Tow 34ft. 32FKD Holiday Rambler travel trailer. GCW 20,360lbs

There's a lot more than meets the eye. I tow a 5er with my 1/2 ton dodge and it does it. It hates it. When I am done with my dually I will use that. That said you can get some light 5ers in the 5500 to 7000 and it would probably do fine. I think the 700 r4 is your weakest link.

I agree with what is alread said, the weight is more of a factor of stopping power than pulling HP and torque. That being said, I've had a Jayco low profile , I think it was 25' long that loaded was still under 8K. Real nice camper. In some ways I prefer it to my current 28RK Keystone
    Jim
    96 GMC 2500 Ext cab Long bed, 8600#, 3.73, Amsoil air filter, amsoil oil, amsoil trans fluid, 3.5 Kennedy Exhaust, 97 airbox mods, EGT, Boost, & Trans Temp on pillar, Heath bumper mounted FSD. Pulling 28' Sprinter 5th

Take a look at Heartland trailers. They have some special lightweight units. We just ordered a Sundance fifth wheel from Lakeshore rv in MI. We take delivery late January!
    2001 Silverado 2500HD CC Dmax 6spd<br />TST PowerMax<br />Forum #1321 Sold

1994 GMC Suburban K2500 6.5

2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6