Thread: Old school

Default Old school

Well, here it goes. I am rebuilding a 1965 Dodge d200 and I want to build a vehicle that will tow anything I hook up to.
    I got the truck for free. It has an oold gas engine in it. I also got an Isuzu straight 6 turbo diesel out of an old ambulance. The engine has low and easy hrs on it. I also got a 4 sp manual tranny out of a 2 ton flat bed and a 2 sp rear end out of the same flat bed. i figure if i hook them all together i should be able to pull a house down.
    Now my question; the only thing I'm worried about is getting the diesel to run, how should I get it to run? Pull the old wiring harness and dissect it or how does that work?
    If it's in the wild, I want to see it, smell it and feel it.

the truck is a 3/4 ton and the motor is 70's dont know exactly and the model is a 6bd1 isuzu
    If it's in the wild, I want to see it, smell it and feel it.

The engine undoubtedly has a mechanical fuel injection system. As such it'll just need a 12vdc power connection to enable the injection pump to deliver fuel. Crank the engine and it'll run. Now, if it's been sitting or if the fuel supply has been open, there may be some air that'll need to be worked out the system. Injection systems are at base a hydraulic system, and air within the pump/lines/injectors will interfere with starting/running.

So, connect the fuel supply to a clean fuel filter, which is connected to the fuel injection pump. Purge all of the air that you can in this section of the fuel supply. There'll still be air in the injection pump, high-pressure injector lines and injectors. Crank the engine with a couple injector fuel lines loosened to help expell the air. Eventually it'll start. Starting fluid can be used, but I recommend getting help from an old hand at using starting fluid. Use just enough to help it start - i.e. don't hose down the air intake then crank.

Jim