Thread: oil cooler plugged

Default oil cooler plugged

found this while doing some maintenance work on my truck recently.

I couldn't get the one oil cooler line to turn loose so I cut the line and pulled the oil cooler out completely. I'm glad I did. The a/c evaporator was completely clogged behind it.

So I'd suggest if you have the grill out for any reason to at least check it.

Big Green
    '95 K2500
    Attached Images Attached Images

You might want to pull fan, shroud, and radiator as you will find same mess between AC condenser and radiator.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

I had the radiator out when I did the timing chain to gear drive a few years ago and it was nasty in there as well.

Instead of pulling the radiator this time I pulled the a/c condenser. It had a lot of rocks and assorted stuff in it so I blew it out. The area behind the oil cooler was totally plugged.

It's all clear now.

Big Green

I used to run black nylon window screen in front of stack behind grill. Bugs don't tend to stick to it. I was running the Sacramento valley every week and during the summer there are little green bugs coming off the rice fields. When I got home as soon as I pulled in the driveway and shut down the birds would attack the grill and front of truck. It would be covered in a green mat of bugs. But with the screen none got into the radiator, condenser, or oil cooler.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Yes indeed, the critters and other junk can sure mess up the cooling capability.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY