Thread: 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500?

Default 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500?

Opinions on the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500?
    I'm looking for a 3500 Diesel Dually to put a camper in the back (not tow).What's the experience with these trucks?

I THINK I heard the 6.0 had problems?
    What kind of problems?
    And people always say GM and Chevy are the same.... but I'm picking up on discussions of structural differences? No?

Over all, is this a truck you'd trust driving for two years out on various types of roads ... all four seasons?
    4 x 4 with 19800 on the odometer.

I picked up my 2006 GMC K3500 February 2013 with 17500 miles on it. Trekked from Charlotte N C to Virginia then Tennessee and back to California.

When we left CA pulling a 36ft fifth wheel we weighed in at 27500.
    Stopped in Nevada, then Arizona, then on to Tennessee. From here we pulled the fifth wheel to Virginia and then back to Tennessee.

Bob tailed back to California and picked up a uhaul trailer and the rest of our belongings and headed back to Tennessee. I now have 46000 miles on the truck and it has been almost flawless. It drug the fifth wheel every where I wanted.

I wanted 2006 because it was pre DEF and had the best reviews and reports here on TDP.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Flatbed,
    The 2005 LLY is a good engine and the five speed Allison is a great transmission. My 2006 LBZ with 215k miles is by far the best truck that I have ever owned and I have had some very good trucks in the past. With only 20k miles on the 2005 dually it isn't even broken in yet and should not give you any problems for a very long time.

Additionally, at one time I had a 16.5 foot slide out camper that was old and heavy and my 2006 truck handled it just fine so the 05 should be OK also. You asked about Ford 6.0. All I will say is that if someone gave me one I would know that they must really hate me. They make good boat anchors.
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .