Thread: Recommended 6.5-literate mechanic in Portland, OR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Recommended 6.5-literate mechanic in Portland, OR

Hi all, new here. I have a '99 diesel suburban that I (hopefully) call my daily driver. I try to do as much work on it as I can, but I don't have a garage and there is only so much I can do by the curbside, especially in bad weather.

I have been looking in our area (Portland, OR) for a mechanic who is really knowledgeable with 6.5 diesels, but without luck so far. I don't mind paying someone to do the work, but I don't enjoy paying someone to throw new parts at the truck to see what's going to happen

If local folks don't mind offering suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

What type of issues are you having?
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

I have had persistent stalling issues which I have already done a lot of work on. Right now they're gone, but since I have no clue why they stopped, they may well return.

I am also having non-diesel-specific issues including possibly some transmission troubles coming up, etc.

I know one decent fuel shop in town, but I am hoping to find a good mechanic who is familiar with the 6.5 engine and with GMT400 trucks in general.

Robyn Missy Good Wrench if you can get her down off her mountain.
    Bet she will be along in the morning with a good recommendation.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Hi Fredo
    Have you looked at your ignition switch as the cause of your intermittent troubles?
    Easy to switch if you have some basic mechanical knowledge .It is a culprit if you are having trany issues and also stalling issues.
    Good Luck
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Hi Yukon 6.2, the ignition switch has been on my radar, but mostly because it's hard to turn and it gets really "sticky".

But I have not done it yet because:
    - I assumed the hard operation was because of the ignition lock cylinder, not the switch itself, but I guess it could be caused by either?
    - I thought that if I had a bad ignition switch I would get all kinds of electrical gremlins too, like dash lights and/or gauges cutting out, and I'm not getting any of these (other than a non-working horn).