Thread: Cold-start Oil Pump

Default Cold-start Oil Pump

Has/does anyone use a pre-ignition oil pump?

I would like oil flowing through the engine before I start it.

Does anyone know of a good place to purchase on or some sort of pump whereby I can make my own?

Thanks

Joe
    ****WANTED BURNED OUT PMD/FSD MODULES FOR EXPERIMENT. ****

1998 Silverado, 6.5TD, 210k, long bed. 1984 Chevy Customized Van, 6.2.
    1985 Mercedes-Benz SD, diesel, 220k
    1990 Ford, F-250, 7.3 liter, bad engine.
    Onan, 4 cyl. Diesel, Marine Generator.
    Onan, 4 cyl. Diesel, Stationary Generator.
    Onan, 4 cyl. Diesel, Air-cooled Engine.
    2 Briggs/Faryman Diesels to rebuild.

Just my opinion, but I don't feel a preluber is necessary. I've taken apart 6.2/6.5 engines that hadn't run in years, and there was still a nice amount of lube oil on the rod/main bearings.

Jim

On the other hand, If you want one I have a brand new 10 year old kit I never used. Give you a good deal...

PM me if interested.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Jim,

I will sleep better if I have one.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Just my opinion, but I don't feel a preluber is necessary. I've taken apart 6.2/6.5 engines that hadn't run in years, and there was still a nice amount of lube oil on the rod/main bearings.

Jim

I am with JIM
    I dont see any need fora preoiler on a grocery getter.

The engine gets oil just as soon as the sucker rolls over a few revs.

We used to use preoilers on our race boat engines but they were built to the hilt and when they started they were coming up to some fair revs right off the gitgo.

I sure cant say anything bad about these systems but for a driver its so far over the top that I cant see any good coming from it.
    As Jim pointed out, even an engine that has been sitting for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time will still have plenty of oil in the bearings to keep them quite happy until the pump gets going which is only a few seconds.

About 5 seconds of cranking will have oil to the engine under normal circumstances.

Have fun.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I asked a local engine rebuilder (Jerry's Custom Engines) about prelubing a freshly rebuilt engine before running it for the first time. He told me that spinning the oil pump using an electric drill and an oil pump drive adapter can be used to fill all of the oil passages before that first start. However, he then said the assembly lube they use will provide adequate lubrication for 2-3 minutes of low rpm running without any oil pressure (not that I'd test his theory).

I prelubed the last engine I had rebuilt before starting it for the first time.

However, if installing a preluber gives you more confidence, then that alone is reason enough to install one. I'd say go for it!

On a related note, a member stopped by a few years ago to show me a "post luber" he intended to install on his 6.5.

He's holding the can upside down, but the can works like a pressure tank used in a domestic water well system. The engine's oil pressure will cause oil to enter the can under pressure. When the engine is switched off, that accumulated pressure will force a pint or so of oil through the turbo bearings. The idea is to cool and lubricate the bearings after a hot shut-down. It's all automatic, with no moving parts.

Jim

Thanks, Jim and Robyn for that information.

I still want to build one or install a commercial one. It can't hurt and I only have a zillion other projects, too.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    I asked a local engine rebuilder (Jerry's Custom Engines) about prelubing a freshly rebuilt engine before running it for the first time. He told me that spinning the oil pump using an electric drill and an oil pump drive adapter can be used to fill all of the oil passages before that first start. However, he then said the assembly lube they use will provide adequate lubrication for 2-3 minutes of low rpm running without any oil pressure (not that I'd test his theory).

I prelubed the last engine I had rebuilt before starting it for the first time.

However, if installing a preluber gives you more confidence, then that alone is reason enough to install one. I'd say go for it!

Jim

Default I run a prelube system.

I run a preluber in my 93'. fairly straight forward to install. Big 12v motor driving a positive displacement gear style pump. Truck ran for years in the stock setup w/o it. during the build up of engine #2, installed it with a whole lot of goodies. It is not cheap new, it will set you back about 400-500$, but like you said earlier piece of mind does count.

on the down side, you'll have to wait for it to cycle at startup. the waiting will throw off your usual start sequence of glow plug heating cycle. starup cycle for mine is about 30 sec. front & rear main seals will see 80+ psi of oil pressure and each morning startup if its cold by my mechanical oil pressure gage(<40 deg). very large load on your batteries. may get annoying during short distance driving. I wired an in cab cutout switch since you need it only during the first start of the day.
    -*og%rice*-
    93 C3500 dually 6.5td. 18.7:1, Balanced, Coated, Underdriven, BD 4" exh, Turbomaster, 2 gage pillar + 3 gage dash, Dual electric fans, DB2 4911(maxxed out), NV4500, Propane, 97' cooling, Pre luber aux oiling, Phaser timing gears, hand made glow plug wiring harness 10ga. fluidampr damper, two pass FMIC, more to come..............

Joe didn't want it, so I'm offering it here before I put it on e-bay...
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Ogrice,

If I build mine, I will just have an independent switch to turn it on for a certain amount of time before I hit the ignition switch.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by ogrice View Post
    I run a preluber in my 93'. fairly straight forward to install. Big 12v motor driving a positive displacement gear style pump. Truck ran for years in the stock setup w/o it. during the build up of engine #2, installed it with a whole lot of goodies. It is not cheap new, it will set you back about 400-500$, but like you said earlier piece of mind does count.

on the down side, you'll have to wait for it to cycle at startup. the waiting will throw off your usual start sequence of glow plug heating cycle. starup cycle for mine is about 30 sec. front & rear main seals will see 80+ psi of oil pressure and each morning startup if its cold by my mechanical oil pressure gage(<40 deg). very large load on your batteries. may get annoying during short distance driving. I wired an in cab cutout switch since you need it only during the first start of the day.

Only time I can really see a pre-oiler being a big benefit on a grocery-getter is for us 4-wheel drive guys with the horizontal oil filter when changing it. I always make sure I warm up the engine a bit before changing oil so hopefully it'll flow faster on initial start up through a warm engine block. Those few seconds without oil pressure always seems like an eternity when changing the oil. I'd love to have the ability to charge up the system and fill the oil filter with oil before starting. That's one reason I've always thought of installing a remote oil filter, just so I can mount it vertically and fill it with oil before installing it.

Just my $.02

Art.
    Art Paltz
    1999 Suburban K2500 6.5TD (stock)
    2000 Undercover Dragster, 468 BBC, 7.74@173MPH, waiting on new 622 aluminum BBC to be finished.
    1992 Tube Chassis Camaro, 468 BBC, 8.54@157MPH (SOLD)
    1987 Buick Grand National, 11.8@114, pump gas (for sale)
    1969 Camaro SS/RS 396-350HP, stock restoration, it never leaves the garage...