Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather and smoke when starting

Default Cold weather and smoke when starting

Seems every winter for about the last three or four winters I have this problem then the weather gets warmer and the problem goes away and I forget about it till next winter. It's the dreaded smoking and chugging when starting cold. I have noticed something different this year though that may shed some light on the problem if I only knew how to read it but I don't know that much about the 6.5. I have changed the injector pump the injectors glow plugs and glow plug controller all within the last 2500 miles. The reason was to try and get rid of the excessive smoke and chugging at cold start. This year I tried starting without depressing the accelerator prior to starting. It actually starts better this way but as soon as you depress the accelerator it actually runs rougher for a little while then clears out. I feel sure it is a sensor or something but I don't know which or where it is. The truck runs great after you get it going and even if you plug it in and let it heat it starts perfect. But it use to start the same way cold. The truck is a 1992 2500 6.5 with 131,000. Serviced regularly, motor seems to be in great shape. I have owned the truck since '96 and it had 80,000 on it when I bought it. Sure would appreciate some help to get rid of this smoke. Also if it makes any difference it doesn't use oil so the smoke is not oil smoke.
    Thanks in advance for any help. Eddie

This is a complete WAG, but I've had a similar issue with the AMG 6.5L TD in my motorhome and the 6.9L NA in my Ford van.

The problem with the 6.5 - after replacing glow plugs (which were from the original engine, so they needed it), controller, and lift pump (which also was bad) - the culprit was ugly battery grounds on the engine.

The Ford's 6.9 had similar symptoms, but the problem with it was the injector return lines' sucking air when the engine stopped.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Even though you replaced the glow plugs recently, I'd still check them out - especially if you replaced them with the "quick heat" type. Checking the plugs is always a good place to start. One or two bad plugs can give the exact symptoms you are talking about.
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Actually I have had this problem even since I replaced all this equiptment I for got to state this in the original post also I replaced both batteries at the same time as the rest of the work. I know there are a couple of sensors in the block that help control this stuff and I wonder if it would be cheaper to just replace these and see if it will help. I took the truck to a shop that was suppose to really good on these engines after installing all the new parts because I was told it was probably sitll in the pump but they checked it out and said the pump was good the next thing he was wanting to check was compression . I amy be wrong but I don't think this is the culprit because of the way the truck runs the fact it doesn't use oil and it runs great if you either use the block heate or if the tempature is decent. It's only when it is really cold. I espically think the deal with the acting up when you hit the accelerator after starting instead of before is a key to what's causing the problem I just don't know which sensor would have something to do with this.I do appreciate your efforts to help. Anyone else got any suggestions?
    Thanks, Eddie

Check your injectors, I just went through the same problem your having.
    I was able to find the bad injector and swap it with a used unit to buy me time till spring when I need a new set
    I have 131k miles on my truck.
    Pull your cross over pipe, with the truck cold have someone start it and see which bank is smoking. After you isolate which bank is misfiring then each day crack a injector line to see which injector is not contributing causing the white smoke.
    I was lucky that it was the drivers side to crack the lines.
    William

97 Chevy Tahoe 2Dr 6.5 Kennedy Exhaust Pipes w/Homemade Resonator and Flowmaster Muffler, Turbo Tech intercooler and Kennedy/Westers computer
    01 Sunline 2363 Travel Trailer

You might want to check out your lift pump circuit. The lift pump should start working when you turn your key to the crank engine position. If it isn't working then your engine will do exactly what you are describing untill your OPS has enough pressure to start the lift pump working. When it's cold the fuel is thicker so if your not using a good diesel additive you should consider it.
    93 2500 - best truck I ever owned
    Sold

98 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 4X4 EC SB Dark Blue
    3"turbo down to 4" back.
    Remote PMD
    Was S then F code now SSD ECM (used - it was cheap - not my first choice)

Question

Where would you need to check at the pump or at the oil pressure switch? I noticed in the troubleshooting guide it gives a part # pn-10243574 do these either work or not or can they sometimes not work just at cold start? Also what about the sensor at the rear of the head on the passenger side and also the one that is center in front I think the one in front has something to do with advancing the timing for cold start. I'm not sure about the one at the back on the passenger side any ideas if this could be a culprit for this problem or not. What do you think?

Check for any diesel fuel leaks, if you smell diesel fuel smell under the hood, chances are you have a small leak, which lets some air into the system. This is especially obvious in the cold.

Ditto on the holding the petal. The mechanical injection pumps (like your 1992 and all 6.2's) don't start the engine as well as the later electronic pumps. The best way to start is to turn the key on (glow plugs on) push the petal half way and release (enables the fast idle solenoid to hold throttle), you'll feel a slight click on your foot. The light goes out, crank it till it's running. If it misses a little bit just let it finish and it'll smooth out. Seems that when you give it more fuel it just seems to put out the fire a little bit. If it starts then dies, turn the key off, wait 30 seconds, repeat the process above (including the petal part).

As mentioned above worn injectors (any with over 100k miles on them) and any air leaks in the system, or a failing or non-functional lift pump will hurt starting performance.

J
    1982 C10 SCSWB 6.5TD, mods too extensive to list. (13.69 1/4 mile @94.6 MPH) RACE TRUCK
    1982 C10 SCSWB 6.2NA, 2.73 700
    1986 C10 SCLWB 6.2TD 3.73 700
    1989 V20 SUB 6.2NA, 3.73 400
    1994 G20 VAN 6.5NA, 3.42 60E
    1994 K20LD ECSWB 6.5TD, 3.42 80E
    1995 K20 SUB 6.5TD, Wrecked, ran into by stupid teen.
    1995 C3500HD DRW 6.5TD, 12' Flatbed 5.13 80E
    1995 C3500HD DRW 6.5TD, 18' Rollback Wrecker 4.63 80E
    1994 C20HD ECLWB 6.5TD 3.73 80E Wifes Truck.
    1995 C20LD ECSWB 6.5TD 3.73 80E
    1995 K20LD SCLWB 6.5TD 3.73 80E
    1996 K30 DRW 6.5TD 4.10 80E
    1997 C10 Tahoe 2Door 2WD 5.7L to 6.5 Conversion Underway

With 131K on the beast the timing chain is going to have some wear.
    The IP timing is going to be lagging a bit.

If you loosen the three nuts on the IP and advance it about the width of the scribe line on the housing (Maybe a tad more) your issue may resolve itself.

With new injectors/plugs and IP you should see a good running engine.

With timing slow these little critters can get very smokey at cold start and also will be a tad sluggish even warmed up.

You can lose 3-5 degrees of timing easily with a badly worn chain.

Now this said, a fresh chain is "Usually" all thats needed to bring things right up to snuff.

I have had several engines apart that although they had a Bazillion miles the sprockets were fine and just the chain had stretched.

You can replace the chain of a warm Saturday without too much bother.

Yank the accessories, water pump and the front cover.
    Be careful of the pan seal area and clean and regoop it well with silicone after replacing the chain.

Best

RC
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Just to add my $0.02, I think this is normal 6.5TD response to cold weather. Our Suburban starts wonderfully when warm and when plugged in, but when cold the 6.5 is known to clatter a lot and will smoke. In fact, any diesel when cold (usually below 20F anyway and for sure below 0F) will not run well until it warms up a bit. I had my truck starting at -30F with a dead block heater and she clattered something awful and I was afraid the smoke would choke my neighbor out of his house but once it warmed up she ran fine. There are others plenty more knowledgeable about these engines on this board and they may chime in as well.
    Bryan Lundquist
    Bangor, ME
    1998 Suburban 2500 4X4 with optimizer 6500 engine (4/07) with battery modification, remote mount FSD cooler (behind bumper), 285/75/16LRE BFG All Terrains (going to 4" backspacing wheel required 1.25" lift), AFE air cleaner, Stewart Warner Maximum Performance EGT, Boost and Trans temp gauges, 3->4" stainless exhaust, Rancho RS9000xl shocks, LEDs in all exterior lights.
    2005 2500HD crew cab 6'6"bed with 6.0L no mods yet.
    2010 2500 Suburban - couldn't wait any longer for a duramax.
    Also 1978 Chevy Blazer 350cid HD engine with Fisher plow; 1988 Suburban

Our 94 Burb 6.5 will bang right off even at temps in the teens.
    Small puff of smoke just as it fires off and then the stack clears out.

If you are getting clouds of white to blus smoke there is likely an issue with glow plugs, injectors and or other issues.

RC
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

In the teens I don't notice much at all except as Robyn mentioned. However, I have noticed the colder it gets the longer it takes for that smoke to disappear but usually the smoke clears up in under a minute even at -30F, takes a little bit longer for the engine to want to run smoothly with throttle at -30F though.
    Bryan Lundquist
    Bangor, ME
    1998 Suburban 2500 4X4 with optimizer 6500 engine (4/07) with battery modification, remote mount FSD cooler (behind bumper), 285/75/16LRE BFG All Terrains (going to 4" backspacing wheel required 1.25" lift), AFE air cleaner, Stewart Warner Maximum Performance EGT, Boost and Trans temp gauges, 3->4" stainless exhaust, Rancho RS9000xl shocks, LEDs in all exterior lights.
    2005 2500HD crew cab 6'6"bed with 6.0L no mods yet.
    2010 2500 Suburban - couldn't wait any longer for a duramax.
    Also 1978 Chevy Blazer 350cid HD engine with Fisher plow; 1988 Suburban

Smile

Thanks for the ideas I'll do some checking and see if one of these will clear up the smoke.It could be a lot worse so may just learn to live with it!
    Thanks again, Eddie

16gaSxS is offline Moderator, Have Shotgun & dogs will travel

I did the glow plug over ride several years ago and found that with the new plug you get more smoke, but when I push the button and let those quick heat heat up good and long I get minimal smoke. If It does smoke a bit just push the button and the smoke goes away.
    95, 6.5, C-2500 extended cab shortbox, Auto transmixer 3.42 diff, Jardine exhaust system
    FSD Cooler replaced w/ Heath PMD Isolator
    Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller, Max E Tork chip '97 cooling upgrades, Kennedy Fan clutch,
    Glow Plug over ride,DeeZee 38.5 gallon Aux fuel Tank 225K miles and rolling

1994, 6.5 Blazer, 3:42 diff, 4 inch exhaust, Heath PMD Isolator, Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller Max E Tork, Heath SB intake filter system.
    221K miles and rolling.
    Diesel Page member #81

Quote Originally Posted by 16gaSxS View Post
    I did the glow plug over ride several years ago and found that with the new plug you get more smoke, but when I push the button and let those quick heat heat up good and long I get minimal smoke. If It does smoke a bit just push the button and the smoke goes away.
    I wish there was a way to do this with an OBII!
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Default Manual Glow Plugs w/ OBDII

Does the PCM throw a code if the OEM glow plug relay is activated manually?

If that's a problem, couldn't you set up a separate relay to independently power the glow plugs with a push button?

I'd think the very common Ford starter relay would handle that amperage load OK. The same relay type that Robin suggested on the recent starter thread.
    1995 K2500, 8600 GVWR, 6.5TD, NV4500, 3.73:1, 18:1, balanced, Fluidampr, DSG timing gears, '97 cooling upgrades, 2100 psi-pop injectors, 4" exhaust, ceramic coated exh manifolds/turbine housing/SS crossover pipe, Autometer: pyrometer, boost, oil temp, oil press, fuel press, & water temp gauges, remote oil filter, B&M plate-style oil cooler w/ braided SS oil lines

Hey EEMBRY

Has your truck every given you grief when it's hot and you shut it off for 15 - 20 mins. and try to restart it? Is it hard to start or it won't even start? If this has happened it could be a sign the IP is getting weak. This could also contribute to excess smoke when cold temps are happening.
    93 2500 - best truck I ever owned
    Sold

98 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 4X4 EC SB Dark Blue
    3"turbo down to 4" back.
    Remote PMD
    Was S then F code now SSD ECM (used - it was cheap - not my first choice)

Never any problems when warm or hot only cold.

sorry about the hijack, eembry - i'll start another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SmithvilleD View Post
    Does the PCM throw a code if the OEM glow plug relay is activated manually?
    The PCM gets upset if it sees power to the glow plugs when it's not expecting it, or when it doesn't see power and it is expecting it. I think all years monitor the same line that powers the wait to start light. I suppose you couldisolate that, but a separate relay by itself would not do the trick.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510