Thread: Starting trouble with 7.3

Default Starting trouble with 7.3

My dad has a 89 F250 with 7.3 N/A ... truck runs good when you get it runing but the glow plugs wont stay on very long ... wtihin the last 2 years we have put plugs and controler on this truck but only the plugs seem to help much ... he has to use a shot of juice when its 75 out to get the beast going . Im not sure were to go from here with the this Turdmobile

brian
    1994 GMC 2500 6.5LTD 4wd
    Marine injectors and built 4911 pump to run veggie oil

1981 Toyota 22L Diesel Pickup

Does it "smoke" white (actually unburned fuel mist) after starting? If so, I suggest replacing the fuel return lines from the injectors.

Another possibility is a sticky fuel shutoff solenoid - clean the connector and see if that helps.

It could also be a defective controller; it should power the plugs for a few seconds even at 75°.

Ether is NOT a good idea with glow plugs.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

If the glow plugs are only staying on a few seconds, it means you have a bad plug. Buy ONLY Motorcraft or Beru ZD9 plugs, anything else will be trouble.

Interestingly enough, though, AC60Gs fit and work in these engines, but work better with a manual setup because the 7.3l controller doesn't keep them on long enough. Wiring in a modified 6.2l/6.5l controller should be pretty easy.

Here is a thread from another diesel site in which I contributed some info that may be helpful.
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.