Thread: Valve Guide Liners

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow Valve Guide Liners

Just an FYI: when using valve guide liners as intended (to repair a worn valve guide), longtime engine rebuild shops that rebuild 6.2/6.5 diesels recommend cast iron liners. They say soot in the motor oil is too abrasive for brass liners.

Makes sense....

Jim

Phosphor bronze = Harder than a whores heart. good stuff.

The brass ones are indeed too soft

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Arrow

I visited a local engine rebuild shop this past August (bought a crankshaft from them). While there I talked to the shop manager about rebuilding 6.5L cylinder heads. One of the items we talked about was valve guide liners. This is the same shop that rebuilt our 6.5L TD 18:1 CR project engine.

I mentioned to the manager that cast-iron valve guide liners were being recommended for diesel engines because of the abrasive nature of soot. He quickly told me that they use bronze (probably the phosphor bronze variety), and that there hasn't been a problem with accelerated wear in these light-duty diesels. After considering that our 6.5L project ran to 300K+ miles, their advice is likely pretty good. However, he did say that they could do cast-iron valve guide liners - they're just quite a bit more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post

After considering that our 6.5L project ran to 300K+ miles, their advice is likely pretty good.

What's the latest on the 6.5L Power Project, anyway? I know it was sold in '06 with about 250K on the clock....

Thanks!

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
    What's the latest on the 6.5L Power Project, anyway? I know it was sold in '06 with about 250K on the clock....

Thanks!

Casey
    Last I heard quite some time ago, the engine had accumulated >300K miles. Lost track of it since.