Thread: Detroit Diesel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default locating 4-53t Detroit

Hi, New here. N. Eastern PA What type of equipment or vehicle would have a 4-53t that would be best suited for a 1 ton swap? And what is the average going rate for one in decent running condition? Also possibly a 6v53t, though if I went 6v53t , It would be in a medium duty truck. Thanks in advance for any input. PS I'd be going with an auto, Allison at545, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit 8V92TA View Post
    Hi, New here. N. Eastern PA What type of equipment or vehicle would have a 4-53t that would be best suited for a 1 ton swap? And what is the average going rate for one in decent running condition? Also possibly a 6v53t, though if I went 6v53t , It would be in a medium duty truck. Thanks in advance for any input. PS I'd be going with an auto, Allison at545, etc
    I ran a 453 for a few years and got real tired of it. It is noisy and not fuel efficient and doesn't have the bottom end torque other engines have.

It does have a very unique sound that I liked (but a little too much of it), but I would never own one again. The 6BT engine seems like a much more capable engine in a smaller vehicle. I would choose one of those any day over the Detroit.

Default reply regarding Cummins vs Detroit

Thanks for the heads up about Detroit drawbacks. I do like Cummins also, however the Detroit swap won't be a daily driver. More or less a unique"toy" if a 6v53t is ridiculously underpowered and fuel thirsty, well I'm not worried about poor fuel economy. Power, yes. Though if a 6v53t is wayyy underpowered for a single axle medium duty, example: International 4700, perhaps a silver 6v92ta would be adequate. With all due respect, I value your input about getting tired of the noise and low end issues, however I can't seem to see why a 6v92ta wouldn't be adequate? Do I need to step up to a 8v92ta? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit 8V92TA View Post
    Thanks for the heads up about Detroit drawbacks. I do like Cummins also, however the Detroit swap won't be a daily driver. More or less a unique"toy" if a 6v53t is ridiculously underpowered and fuel thirsty, well I'm not worried about poor fuel economy. Power, yes. Though if a 6v53t is wayyy underpowered for a single axle medium duty, example: International 4700, perhaps a silver 6v92ta would be adequate. With all due respect, I value your input about getting tired of the noise and low end issues, however I can't seem to see why a 6v92ta wouldn't be adequate? Do I need to step up to a 8v92ta? Thanks again.
    The silver 6v92 is a very potent (and heavy) engine. I am guessing you will not be disappointed with it. With nearly 75% more displacement than the 6v53, the two engines aren't really comparable other than the number of cylinders.