Thread: Engine half turns over and then dead

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Engine half turns over and then dead

IE no electrical at all.

No locks, no lights etc.

At this point I'm hoping it's batteries (I've had some phantom drain in the past) and I wouldn't be surprised to find out the batteries are cooked well ahead of when they ought to be.

Also, last time the batteries went one of them cracked and there's corrosion on all sets of terminals. I've cleaned them up but their still ugly.

I did disconnect batteries and re-connect, I got electrical back... I then disconnected as I was short on time.

My plan of attack tomorrow is load test both batteries out of the truck. Clean up both sets terminals and replace if necessary. Probably scrub out my battery tray and spray some rust converter in there as well.

If the batteries are good I'll put them back, if not I'll replace them.

I guess my major question is, what will cause the no electrical problem? The batteries definitely have juice in them. The truck starts fine and I put a charger on the truck about once a month when we're not really driving it much. What mechanism would cause it to half turn over and then cut all power?

Thanks!
    GMC Sierra 2500hd 2004.5 now with ARP studs

Arrow

Sounds like lost terminal connection (causing the "dead" condition). If one battery is cracked, I wouldn't mess with either of them. Just replace them, as well as the terminals, and cables as necessary. It's pointless to "test" a cracked/leaking battery. Keep it simple and save some effort and damage risk to the electrical/electronic systems. You'll be doing it anyway, probably sooner than later.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Sounds like lost terminal connection (causing the "dead" condition). If one battery is cracked, I wouldn't mess with either of them. Just replace them, as well as the terminals, and cables as necessary. It's pointless to "test" a cracked/leaking battery. Keep it simple and save some effort and damage risk to the electrical/electronic systems. You'll be doing it anyway, probably sooner than later.
    Thanks for the reply DmaxMaverick!

I think I mispoke. The last time the batteries failed, one of them cracked.

I replaced both when that happened. The batteries in the truck are, AFAIK, ok, a couple years old now, but should hopefully be good for a few more years. I have had some phantom draw in the truck that I haven't been able to diagnose.

What I did was clean up the terminals, inspect the batteries... Their sealed so can't check levels... I don't see anything on the battery that makes me suspicious.

I cleaned the terminals, applied some dielectric grease (OMFG that stuff is expensive), re-attached the terminals and it turned over no problem.

So presumably it was just a poor connection. One of my terminals is a bit ugly, I did scrub it out. Next time I'm doing a battery service (This spring most likely I'll pull them out and give them a more thorough going over and put them on a load test.

I'm just happy the problem isn't more serious at the moment. It's pretty crappy weather in Vancouver. Not fun to be messing with bad batteries in the pissing rain.

I did put a voltage meter on each of them. One was 12.62 and the other was 12.63.

I'd start looking at connections downstream from the batteries, like wherever the power to the vehicle branches off the starter circuit, for example, and also at the grounds. Your symptoms sound like a connection that fails under load somewhere.

I don't know what you mean when you say dielectric grease is expensive, but for about $18 you can get a tube of Dow DC-4 that'll last pretty much a lifetime if you're not in the industry.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Arrow

OK. Then the problem is BEHIND you, for now? If so, then it sounds like the issue was the terminal connections, probably a remnant of the previous problem. Test your batteries later, if you want, but I wouldn't say you've seen anything that would suggest the need (and load testing, most of the time, tells you nothing short of a significant failure, which should be otherwise obvious). Everything points decisively to the connection issue, which is a problem in and of itself. Your independent (disconnected) battery voltages look perfectly fine, with 12.6V being the average, even on new batteries.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Interesting, I'll be moving the truck a few times in the next week or two. If I see further issues I'll keep investigating.

I have had a bit of a phantom draw that I've never been able to track down. Could be anything. I've been able to see a bit of elevated current draw from time to time but haven't gotten to the point of being able to isolate it.

I've just been putting a 2a charger on once every couple of weeks in our off season to keep the batteries topped up.

I've seriously considered building myself a networked amp-meter to get a time graph of amp draw over a week or so. At the very least I'd be able to see the current being drawn down.

My neighbor suspected it might be rain and some crappy connections in my tow electric. Haven't been able to gather evidence on that either.

Not sure why the Lordco dielectric was so expensive. Next time I'm in the garage I'll see what the size and brand was, it's a big tube but was the smallest they had. They charged me $36 CAD and retail was $45 or something.

I'm not sure how to go about hunting for issues downstream of the battery, electrical is probably my weakest area.

Arrow

If all that's required is a trickle charger every couple weeks, stop looking for a problem. The modern technology vehicles will kill batteries in little more than that. Mine is about 4 weeks before it's dead (unable to start, with new-ish batteries), but many are much sooner. These ain't your granddaddy's tractor.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A