Thread: AMG/GEP 506 Navistar Longblock ID

Arrow AMG/GEP 506 Navistar Longblock ID

AM General assumed 6.5 engine production in mid 2000, and quickly handed block and cylinder head casting duties off to International Casting Corporation (Navistar) in 2001. International has been casting all of the 6.9L/7.3L/6.0L/6.4L diesel engines used in the Ford pickups since 1983.

The first Navistar/AMG 6.5 rolled off the General Engine Products assembly lines in November 2001. Those made since November 2001 are the very best 6.5 production engines - so far.

Navistar was tasked with solving the cracking problem GM experienced in both the cylinder blocks and the cylinder heads. Navistar accomplished this by increasing the moly content in the block and introducing a number of design changes. The cylinder heads saw an alloy change to include more chromium.

This photo shows an International/Navistar/AMG produced 6.5L diesel longblock, and was shown to us during the 2005 Rendezvous in Salt Lake City by Peninsular Diesel - who is an authorized retailer for AMG/GEP.

The numbers 1-7, as indicated in the above photo help to describe how to identify these blocks.

1- The Navistar symbol is cast into the engine valley.

2- The "506" casting number can be found in a few places on the block. The two #2's as identifed on the photo include the 506 number.

3- The casting date is also an indicator of when the block was actually cast by International. It should show a date of November 2001 or newer.

4- These blocks include two Oil Pressure Switch ports. The valley location was used by the 1996 or newer civilian model engines.

5- The OPS bellhousing flange location was used by the 1992-95 civilian model engines.

6- This pipe is used as a valley drain. Any liquid accumulating in the valley can drain through this line to a location above the oil filter.

7- This is the engine speed sensor used by the 4L80-E automatic. It is afixed atop the oil pump drive assembly.

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 11-27-2007 at 22:03. Reason: add to

THANK YOU!!!

Now we just need to see how much of this detail the China castings have. I'd guess they are the same except for maybe the fact that they use the same julian date for every unit
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    I'd guess they are the same except for maybe the fact that they use the same julian date for every unit
    That's pretty funny!

Do the older GM blocks also have a julian date in the same location?

Art.
    Art Paltz
    1999 Suburban K2500 6.5TD (stock)
    2000 Undercover Dragster, 468 BBC, 7.74@173MPH, waiting on new 622 aluminum BBC to be finished.
    1992 Tube Chassis Camaro, 468 BBC, 8.54@157MPH (SOLD)
    1987 Buick Grand National, 11.8@114, pump gas (for sale)
    1969 Camaro SS/RS 396-350HP, stock restoration, it never leaves the garage...

I spoke to GEP recently about the imported blocks. I was told that aftermarket cylinder blocks cannot legally use identification marks such as GM, AMG, GEP, Navistar or even the 506 casting number. They are aware of the heads & blocks, and have evaluated them (cut them up to look at casting qualities and alloys). They wouldn't comment on them further.

By the way.... the forged-steel cranks are almost here....

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    I spoke to GEP recently about the imported blocks. I was told that aftermarket cylinder blocks cannot legally use identification marks such as GM, AMG, GEP, Navistar or even the 506 casting number. They are aware of the heads & blocks, and have evaluated them (cut them up to look at casting qualities and alloys). They wouldn't comment on them further.

By the way.... the forged-steel cranks are almost here....

Jim
    I do have metal chemical content done on a china block, i have the records.
    does anyone have the same on a stockblock? I would like to compare data to see how the china blocks stack up against stock.
    98 GMC sierra 2500 ext cab 4x4 auto tr 6.5 td 252000 km. needs new engine, next project
    95 GMC sierra LE 2500 ext cab sh box 4x4 auto tr 6.5 td 328.000 km. my wife's truck .remote pmd on cooler
    89 GMC sierra SLE 1500 ext cab 4x4 auto tr 6.2 720000 km engine swap at 665000 km because of broken oil cooler line. 6 bolt wheels.
    Waldon wheelloader repowered with a 6.2 na

Please post items in this location that can help identify a Navistar Block, for questions about the block you have, post a new thread in the 6.5 Diesel forum.

For those following recent activity about a block, it's here:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=34961

Thanks!

When identifying these blocks, what would the date 0206N be? How do I break these numbers down? I thought the N was a month, but that would make M the last month. Any help?

I tried to look up julian dates, but the numbers used on engines isn't true julian numbers. The letters used are not in the julian system so this must be some bastardized version used by the manufacturers. I still can't find out what 0206N means. It is in the right place on the block. I simply want to know if this is an 06 engine.

Thanks MP, I had read that thread, but I did not read it close enough. That answers my question.

Thumbs up Confused

I have just taken delivery of a cobra p400 complete ready to drop in engine, it has 506 in the valley and P 400 on the block near head face, no no,s on the heads either end it was supplied to a friend in Sydney Aust from US engine production company near New York .what do we actually have here,please anyone she'd light, I'm unaware that the 506 block are in fact used for the p 400
    Will load pics if needed, happy travels and to Jim and Robyn and all thanks for sharing your excellent knowledge base, cheers from Oz.
    Okadoc

P400 was the model designation for the AMG 6.5 that had been refitted with the complete lower cast iron girdle assembly.

Take a couple pix of the engine and post here.

Get a good side shot showing the pan rail area, as this is where the difference is.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    P400 was the model designation for the AMG 6.5 that had been refitted with the complete lower cast iron girdle assembly.

Get a good side shot showing the pan rail area, as this is where the difference is.

Robyn
    If it doesn't have the cast-iron girdle, it's NOT a P400.

Default Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post

Robyn
    Thanks heaps for your reply hope I get this right first time here's the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Confused

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    If it doesn't have the cast-iron girdle, it's NOT a P400.
    A pic of the valley with 506
    Attached Images Attached Images

That does look like a P400... likely a drop-in for a HMMWV.

The heads may have the vertical mounting flanges for the HMMWV intake manifold, which won't work for a pickup truck/Suburban intake. If you can use the rear mounted turbo, you're golden.

Thanks for posting the pic.

Jim