Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cracked 6.5L GEP/AM General Block

Dude, if you want sympathy, you wont get it here until you produce the proof everyone is asking for. If your engine is a true brand new AMG engine, you have my sympathy, if you tried to skin a fat hog & get away with something, oh well. No one has heard of a real AMG engine cracking, thus the skeptics. Nobody reading your posts is going to warranty your engine, & there is a lot of negative feedback on the outfit you bought the engine from. All we really want to know is if it is a genuine AMG engine that was built in their factory. Quit beating around the bush & let us know.
    95 K2500 6 lug ecsb leather silverado, 2006 amg 18:1, kennedy exhaust, no cat, heath 2.0, heath boost control, ss diesel air filter, ata intercooler, high idle, bf goodrich 285/75/16 all terrains, remote pmd, three guage pillar pod

Arrow

Klink

We are behind you 100%. We do not doubt for a second you believe you bought an AMG/GEP engine. We'll give you every benefit of doubt until we have something solid to change that (it's the same fore everyone). Let us be the devil's advocate on this. It is your loss, and you are not going to lose any more than you already have. We are skeptical, to be sure. We gain nothing, win or lose, other than education. The pieces just don't fit, and what you are hearing from us is in your best interest. No one is calling you a liar. These engines (late AMG's) just don't break with any regularity. We know they will at some point. It's just the nature of the beast. It's too bad it happened to be you. Please try to keep an open mind on this. No one here is trying to do anything other than help you and your situation. That's what we do. Try not to forget where you are.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by klink k5 View Post
    What dont you people believe?
    It's sort of like this:

I tell you I have a Snap-on wrench and it's a POS because it broke while I was trying to take a nut off. I called the Snap-on factory and they told me I had to contact the guy who sold it to me. The guy who sold it to me is not an authorized Snap-on dealer, but he sold it to me for less than an authorized dealer would have, so I bought it. He's telling me to pound sand. Good luck getting a decent wrench from Snap-on!

This raises the following questions:

How did the unauthorized seller obtain a Snap-on wrench? How is he able to sell it for less than an authorized dealer who bought direct? Could my wrench be a factory reject that should have been destroyed? A used wrench replaced on warranty? Stolen? A Chinese knockoff?

My guess is I got schnookered by the seller and if I can't get anything from him, that's the price of a low ball price. Next time I'll buy my wrenches from Harbor Freight. Not Snap-on, but still a lifetime warranty...
    Last edited by JohnC; 04-08-2008 at 09:37.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by ronniejoe View Post

Does this mean December 17, 2003?
    No, the first two digits are the month, the next two digits are the day of the month, and the letter indicates the year in which it was cast. So, a "03 17 L" would be March 17, 2004.

H = 2001
    J = 2002
    K = 2003
    L = 2004
    M = 2005
    N = 2006
    P = 2007

This engine has not aged well. It looks more like one that is 20 years old. Why is that? The date code appears genuine. Why all the Iraq looking dust/grime accumulation?

Jim

The pickup the engine is in sees a gravel road everyday, I farm in northwest Iowa, all of our gravel roads are pit run, redish sand and two mile treck to the nearst paved road. I know the outside of the 6.5 looks dirty as heck, but I live in the country and I use this truck (we'll I did) for daily farm chores. (Posted a picture of the pickup K2500 in my gallery, still haveing trouble posting pics here on this post), thank you all for the replys to this tread. I will have pics to post of my engine (bare block) as soon as I get my engine back from New York. Alot of stuff in the works to get my engine back, with a totally different block. Thats my update for now thanks again. Thanks for breaking down the date code for me, did you see the block casting number as well, wada you think on that?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    It's sort of like this:

I tell you I have a Snap-on wrench and it's a POS because it broke while I was trying to take a nut off. I called the Snap-on factory and they told me I had to contact the guy who sold it to me. The guy who sold it to me is not an authorized Snap-on dealer, but he sold it to me for less than an authorized dealer would have, so I bought it. He's telling me to pound sand. Good luck getting a decent wrench from Snap-on!

This raises the following questions:

How did the unauthorized seller obtain a Snap-on wrench? How is he able to sell it for less than an authorized dealer who bought direct? Could my wrench be a factory reject that should have been destroyed? A used wrench replaced on warranty? Stolen? A Chinese knockoff?

My guess is I got schnookered by the seller and if I can't get anything from him, that's the price of a low ball price. Next time I'll buy my wrenches from Harbor Freight. Not Snap-on, but still a lifetime warranty...

Just find a another snap-on dealer. I have a Matco toolbox and the slide for the top drawer broke and I called Matco to get a replacement and they told me I have to go through a dealer to get it. So then they gave me a number for a dealer in my area. But I know my snap-on guy will warranty it. If you send it to me I can get it warrantied for you. But you should be able to just have any snap-on guy replace it.

The pickup the engine is in sees a gravel road everyday, I farm in northwest Iowa, all of our gravel roads are pit run, redish sand and two mile treck to the nearst paved road. I know the outside of the 6.5 looks dirty as heck, but I live in the country and I use this truck (we'll I did) for daily farm chores. (Posted a picture of the pickup K2500 in my gallery, still haveing trouble posting pics here on this post), thank you all for the replys to this tread. I will have pics to post of my engine (bare block) as soon as I get my engine back from New York. Alot of stuff in the works to get my engine back, with a totally different block. Thats my update for now thanks again. Thanks for breaking down the date code for me, did you see the block casting number as well, wada you think on that?
    Being a farm truck would explain the dust... The block casting number "looks" ok - it being a 506. Even the very newest engines being sold right now (like the new one Jetboater has) incorporate 506 blocks, but they are a little different than those produced earlier.

On the one hand, like you, I'd be upset with just a 2 year engine life, but on the other hand, it did come with a warranty that you were aware of and agreed to when you bought it. I'm driving a 2001 GMC that is now past the injector warranty period. The early Duramax injectors were a problem. I know it'll need new injectors at some future point. I know it will be on my dime, and I understood the terms of the warranty - which has now expired. It'll be about $4k. I won't complain - too much....

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 1999GMC View Post
    Just find a another snap-on dealer.
    It was a metaphor....
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

AAHHHHH. Okay.

Default Read trough the post....

Sometimes I'm just glad I'm living in Sweden... That kind of deal would not be possible here.

No car, carpart or assembled engin/tranny or other big part would be sold new or even used without a valid waranty. even scrappyards(used carparts dealers) would at least leave a 1-3 month waranty on parts.

If a dealer wants to go arround tis he has to clearly specify "AS IS"

Naturally this does not apply to private sellers if you dont get it specified on the receipt.

I might live in one of the "MostTaxedPeopleCountry" but for some laws I'm happy
    Chevy G20 -88 / -94 drivetrain 6.5L

Hey Klink,

Does International Diesel have the engine to look at it? Did they say they might do something for you? That would be more than you could ask from them for an out-of-warrantee claim. That is assuming what they sold you was a true AMG complete new engine and it wasn't some kind of blem. I certainly hope it turns out better than just owning a paperweight. I'd be pissed-off too!

Art.
    Art Paltz
    1999 Suburban K2500 6.5TD (stock)
    2000 Undercover Dragster, 468 BBC, 7.74@173MPH, waiting on new 622 aluminum BBC to be finished.
    1992 Tube Chassis Camaro, 468 BBC, 8.54@157MPH (SOLD)
    1987 Buick Grand National, 11.8@114, pump gas (for sale)
    1969 Camaro SS/RS 396-350HP, stock restoration, it never leaves the garage...