Thread: 1993 Chevy 3500 Cummins Conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow 1993 Chevy 3500 Cummins Conversion

1993 Chevy 3500 Cummins Conversion

By Jim Bigley

I received an email in 2000 from member Steve Ralston, the owner of this 1993 Chevy Crew Cab diesel. Steve mentioned in his email that he was selling his 6.5TD engine, and told me it ran well before he removed it. I was puzzled why someone would remove a perfectly good engine...... Not until I saw his truck did I realize why.

We hear about Cummins conversions from time to time, but almost never see a picture of one. Steve's Chevy Cummins was a popular hangout all during our Pull-Off event in June 2001. I think everyone appreciated the fine job Steve did. The polished aluminum and CNC machined valve cover accessory makes your mind work a little - "Chevy Cummins Turbo Diesel". Say what?!!

Steve's truck is equipped with an NV4500 5-speed manual transmission and a 3.42 rear differential. Being longer than a V-8, the in-line six crowded the radiator when first installed. This meant moving the radiator forward a few inches, and installing a set of hi-capacity electric cooling fans - just no room for an engine driven fan. Steve is hopeful the electrics are up to the task of keeping a boosted Cummins cool when worked hard.

A number of engine "enhancements" have also been incorporated that provide for some attention getting performance. Steve's Chevy Cummins pulled the loaded trailer up the mile-long 6% grade in just 64 seconds and at 69 mph. EGT was a toasty 1400 degrees at the 1-mile mark, and boost pressure was at 40 psi. This is a big and heavy truck, and running 0-60's at 7.68 seconds certainly impressed everyone. Steve says he and Craig Brickey of Reliance Automotive in Hamilton, MT spent many long nights and weekends performing this conversion. I'll bet! Good job - Steve and Craig. TDP

PS: The following company offers Chevy/Cummins conversions, and may offer component parts to allow you to do it yourself.
    Auto World • 826 6th Avenue North Great Falls, MT 59401 • 406-727-8915
    Last edited by More Power; 11-18-2008 at 16:48. Reason: add to

Hello I have a 1993 Chevy Silverado 3500, and this is exactly what I want to do to it. would you have any advice on getting started or know of any good websites to do research on this type of conversion.

HI I have a 99 chevy 2500 4x4 that I am thinking of putting a 95 12v cummins in to it. I am looking for a air to air that will fit in the core suport. Can some one help?

Arrow

You're welcome! Another Chevy Cummins can be found at the following link here in The Diesel Page.
    http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/BDDyno.htm

Jim

I wonder if anyone call tell whether the Original (Chevy) Transmission was used?

The Chevy at the top of this thread used the original NV4500 that came with the truck - though I don't know if it required any mods.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MJMullinII View Post
    I wonder if anyone call tell whether the Original (Chevy) Transmission was used?
    You can use the origanal chevy NV4500, but you either have to get a custom clutch and bellhousing set-up, or use the DODGE input shaft in it and a DODGE clutch.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, 3.42 gears, 261 T-case
    Trans has a mild build with ALOT of help from MIKE L. which included ALTO's for C1-C4 and a PI ML converter
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust with a CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, EFILIVE, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Default I know this is an old thread but I have a couple questions

Hey guys ... new on here today .. I am in the process of buying a 2000 chevy one ton with a blown motor and an NV4500 tranny and I had a few questions about the cummins conversion into this style truck ... I have a '93 12V in a '91 CC 4X4 dually chevy that I did in '08 and have almost 100K since the conversion ...
    My first question is the clearance over the frame crossmember ... are there any oil pan mods requ'd to do this conversion ... I have the original '98 Dodge motor mounts on the engine and I intend to just build a bracket to accept them in the frame ... the other question is, Is the chevy NV4500 capable of taking the dodge bell housing and input shaft to adapt the trans to the motor ..
    Also i see in the above post that the poster said that there is no room for the engine mounted fan and that the radiator had to be moved 2" forward to accomodate the engine and only with the use of electric fans ... could this be different with the trans located further back in the frame allowing the engine to sit further back in the engine compartment ....
    I my '91 cc chevy I was able to locate the engine so that the cummins fan actually centered in the original GM fan shroud ... I was hoping to do something similar with this conversion ...
    I would greatly appreciate any input that anyone has in this conversion application ...