Thread: Diesel Conversions: Thinking out loud...

Default Diesel Conversions: Thinking out loud...

I've been thinking about conversions, but have run into some of the issues with titling a converted vehicle - diesel in a previously gas vehicle, vehicle age, whether a diesel was ever offered from the factory for that model, using a "truck" engine in a light duty vehicle...

Then I started wondering if I was looking at it from the wrong direction. Why not keep the vehicle titled as that of the powertrain donor? Say I used my '93 as the donor - engine, trans, t-case, axles - to swap into something else - Jeep, Land Cruiser, El Camino, whatever. What if I left it titled as a '93 Chevy K2500? Any chance they'd let me do that? Would they require a significant portion of the frame? Body? I've seen some pretty crazy stuff titled as a "Jeep" but with a VW Bug body, original Bronco body, etc. But those are usually using the whole Jeep frame.

As I said, thinking out loud...
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Well - if its titled as one vehicle and looks like another, I think the law will have a problem with that. If an officer is behind you, pulls up your registration, and the vehicle clearly does not match the registration, he'll likely want to pull over and have a chat.

Here in MA we have similar laws, except all vehicle that are older than a 1984 are excempt from emissions standards. Therefore I can run pretty much any engine in my 1983 truck, as loong as the truck passes a safety inspection. There are some legal engine/drivetrain swaps, but I'm not familar with how that works.
    2012 Chevy 2500HD ECSB, 6.0L gas, auto, 4x4, LT
    2003 F450, 7.3L PSD, 6 spd stick, 2wd, dump truck
    1983 GMC K2500 pickup - working on a Cummins 5.9L swap
    1987 GMC K3500 Dump, 6.2L diesel, TH400 auto - project plow truck

I think this question has more to do with how your state is. In states like california, I guess its very difficult to do swap because of the strict emissions laws. In other states like here in Idaho, there are no emissions testing. When you title a vehicle, all they do is check that the vin matches the title. So find out what the laws are in your state. It would be good to find other members here that live in your area and ask them. If you ask a government worker, they will tell you exactly what the law says. In my experience the reality is alot different.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwright View Post
    I think this question has more to do with how your state is. In states like california, I guess its very difficult to do swap because of the strict emissions laws. In other states like here in Idaho, there are no emissions testing. When you title a vehicle, all they do is check that the vin matches the title. So find out what the laws are in your state. It would be good to find other members here that live in your area and ask them. If you ask a government worker, they will tell you exactly what the law says. In my experience the reality is alot different.
    Actually, it's not hard to do in California if you know the right buttons to push.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear