Thread: 1997 Jeep TJ Wrangler with 6.5L Turbo Diesel

Default 1997 Jeep TJ Wrangler with 6.5L Turbo Diesel

Here is my 6.5 Turbo Jeep. I started this conversion last summer by finding a SBC belhousing and purchasing a Novak adapter plate to mate the existing AX15 Jeep transmission to a SBC bellhousing. Other Novak parts used include a large capacity aluminum radiator, a hydraulic clutch slave cylinder and engine mounts with weld in brackets.
    This project included doing full frame off body restoration and new front fenders. I cut into the firewall by the right head to get the engine back as far as possible and carved into the right fender to clear the turbo. The bigger radiator (big in jeep standards, small for this 6.5) meant moving the reservoir container to the old battery location.
    My old 1988 Chev 6.2 donated many parts to this project including the battery trays which were bolted to the floor behind the front seats. Also, the Hydro-boost unit replaced the Jeeps original vacuum brake booster.
    This engine includes mizer pre-combustion cups for fuel economy, a high volume water pump with dual thermostats and ofcourse the modification needed to clear the 4911 DB2 injector pump. The fan is a 20" 6 blade from a courier van. Currently I've only driven about 1000 miles including fairly hot days and cooling does not seem to be an issue. Also installed is my old factory oil cooler from my 1995 6.5T (this truck now has a DSG cooler) and a small power steering oil cooler from NAPA. Both these fit in front of the radiator.
    The modification shown in the last image was done to simulate the Jeeps' crankshaft position sensor so that the tachometer would operate. I took the 6.5's 4 point CPS, filled in the spaces with weld and machined in the Jeep timing marks that are normally on the flywheel. Although I was not yet sucessful in convincing the computer that this diesel is a 4.0L straight 6 gasser, I haven't given up yet. I will attempt to alter the camshaft sensor in the future.
    Also in this picture is the camshaft gear drive from DSG.
    I did run into a few set backs along the way with this project. I bought 2 6.5 engines from a wrecker, I had the 6.2 from my old 1988 Chev, and I bought a 6.5 with a broken crank. Out of the 4 engines, only one did not have the cracks often seen at the main bolt holes. This is the block I used to machine with 0.020" oversize pistons. After assembling and getting this beast running I found that coolant was getting into the oil. After some disassembly and investigation, I found a crack below a rear headbolt hole on the left side. So, this block was scrapped and my next best block used. Fortunately I found a Full-Torque thread repair kit on Ebay for a good price. I had the machine shop install the inserts on the damaged main bolt holes and re machined my 2nd block, then I transfered everything over and reinstalled this engine.
    So far I am pleased with the results. The front end has settled about 1" below its normal height. I plan on replacing the tired front springs and adding a 3/4" spring spacer. This should set the height back to normal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1995 6.5T 4x4 4L80E Trans haules my 5th wheel RV
    Rebuilt engine & Tranny at 220000km
    DSG gear drive & stud girdle
    97 water pump & dual stats
    remote FSD
    Kennedy fan clutch & Dmax fan
    SPA digital gauges - boost, exhaust, trans temp, fuel pressure
    Kennedy 3.5" Exhaust & chip
    Fluidamper & AFE air filter
    Bilstien shocks
    remote Amsoil bypass oil filter
    marine injectors
    31"x12x4" charge air cooler
    DSG Oil cooler
    B&M transmission pan
    Holset HX35W

1988 C2500 6.2 retired with 570000 kms

1997 Jeep TJ with 6.2/6.5 in its future

Hi
    Very Nice
    Love the stock look.
    Hows the milage?
    Have fun with it.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Very neat job, that would give the Wrangler some punch.

OK, I have to convert litres per 100km to mpg:

The jeep gets 20mpg - the same as it did with the original 4.0L six. A little disappointing since my 6.2 used to get 24 mpg. The jeep weighs about 4000 lbs, the 6.2 weighed over 6000 lbs. My 6.5 turbo gets 18 mpg and it weighs about 8000 lbs.
    I hope to increase the mileage by adjusting the timing. Also, I don't hear the turbo wine so I suspect it's not working right. A little more work required but for now I'm just enjoying driving - it hasn't moved all winter.
    She sure snorts though!
    remote FSD
    Bilstien shocks
    marine injectors
    DSG Oil cooler
    B&M transmission pan
    Holset HX35W

Oh yea:
    Original gearing from this Jeep is 3.55
    remote FSD
    Bilstien shocks
    marine injectors
    DSG Oil cooler
    B&M transmission pan
    Holset HX35W

Quote Originally Posted by brherrmann View Post
    The jeep gets 20mpg - the same as it did with the original 4.0L six.
    I'm surprised you got that much out of the 4.0L! My ex-wife had a '97 TJ and she was lucky to break 15mpg with it.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Nice job. Have thought about a similar conversion on my CJ7. Already did a ZJ. I get about 22 mpg in the ZJ running 3.07 gears.
    1993 K3500 - Peninsular 18:1 engine, marine injectors, high capacity cooling, AL Core Radiator, 3" DP and 4" exhaust, ISSPRO Gauges, Girdle, AMSOIL Dual Oil Filter System, 1997 Air Filter(trashed the K&N), 395K on Body, 165k on engine.
    1997 GMC Savana - 6.5 TD
    1966 CJ5 - V6 Gas - highly modified
    1967 Jeepster - Stock
    1986 Jeep CJ7 - Stock
    1993 Grand Cherokee - 6.2 diesel
    2007 Grand Cherokee - 3.0 diesel