Thread: Classic truck Conversion

Default Classic truck Conversion

I have a 65 GMC K20 and I was going to keep it all original(and still might) but I am kind of wanting to have something a little custom. So I have been looking around online for 60-65 GMC/Chevy trucks converted to 6.2/6.5 diesel but I can't find any.

Anyone seen any of these out there or maybe done one?

I have seen every other kind of diesel conversion for these trucks but can't find any 6.2/6.5's. There does seem to be 67 and up conversions for 6.2/6.5 everywhere.

Hi Tom
    It would be a very easy conversion.And you would have a ton of room to add a turbo for extra power.Lots of room for a big rad ect.
    The mechanical version of the 6.2/6.5 would use all your old wiring,which you could apgrade for longevity with a few solinoids ect.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
    Hi Tom
    It would be a very easy conversion.And you would have a ton of room to add a turbo for extra power.Lots of room for a big rad ect.
    The mechanical version of the 6.2/6.5 would use all your old wiring,which you could apgrade for longevity with a few solinoids ect.
    Thomas
    Yeah I figured it would be an easy conversion, I was just curious to see pictures of some that were done and there is none that I can find online.

I think I might need to adjust mounting points depending on how much room there is between the engine and firewall but no big deal there.

Diesel Power Magazine just had a special issue on Diesel Swaps. They had a '66 Chevy and a '70 Chevy with Duramax engines. Also, the regular issue (Jan, I think) had a '76 Chevy with a Duramax.

For the '66, the owner swapped a 2006 chassis under it.

I know you're looking at the 6.2/6.5, but if they can get a Duramax to work a mechanical 6.x should be cake. You can order back issues through the Diesel Power website.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423