Thread: 03 Vanishing Act

Picked up new 03 Friday afternoon, took a break in trip saturday and today gave it a good wash and start of the first wax. While washing I noticed the spare tire lock is gone, the wiper arms are no longer the 90 degree arms, no under hood light, the rubber flaps at ends of front bumper are gone and the damn block heater cord will not clear the hood.
    On the inside, I noticed the Bose radio can't pickup anything on FM, the glove box lock is gone, the CD rack with door is gone and one power source has been eliminated. Storage for garage opener is eliminated along with the neat sun glass compartment.
    However I guess I should be happy. I now have two cubby holes in dash and one in overhead console that are either so deep you cannot get your hand in or not tall enough to put anything in. I also get to pay about 8% more for all this.
    I would add that the paint quality and the panel fit is no where near the quality that was on my old 02. My 02 would also blow the doors off this 03, stock to stock.
    Other than that above, I am pretty pleased so far, but it will be back in the shop getting panels aligned next week and maybe I will have a better opinion after.
    2003 3500 LT Duramax/Allison, 4x4, CC, LWB, KN filter, Pacific Duallies simulators, Putco 4\" nerf bars. White with all the options. Tows 2002 Citation 30.5 Citation double slide fiver with all the toys.

Yikes.

At least there's someone else having FM problems.

They definately have seemed to cut the costs on the little piddly inexpensive things, but things that everyone liked - typical Detroit.

I can't afford to buy a new truck every year, so had nothing to really compare it against, but I love the new 2003 GMC bumper & grill & the Computer.
    <b>2003 GMC 2500HD D/A SLT 4x4 CC LB! (Polo Green) </b><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/53238125hQAlYl\" target=\"_blank\"><i>PICS HERE</i></a>

I just read somewhere??? I think it was on GMs Tech Bulletin Site that the new upgrade radios need to tweaked with the Tech II scan tool. Now the cotton pickin radio even communicates on the "bus".

Here's some other things to add to the '03 +/- list:

Tow/Haul Switch also has OD lockout on it.
    Trip/mileage computer seems to be standard now.
    Radio/Display controls on the steering wheel are nice.
    Concur on overhead console---sucks.

Jumper cable for electric brake controller IS NOT included and the dealers can't seem to get them. Also, $38 !!!

Even if you order trailering package, they don't install a fuse on Stud 1 to put power to the 7-pin trailer connector. Curious: they do install a fuse on Stud 2 for electric brakes even though you don't get a jumper to connect it to anything. Go figure.

If you order electric seats, only the driver's side is electric. Both sides were on my '01.

The powered camper mirrors aren't too bad.

The sheet metal in the pickup box seems to be quite a bit thicker (at least in the area in front of the wheel well).

The fancy electrochromic mirror with temperature and compass seems to be standard equipment now?

The rear leaf springs have holes drilled in the ends to hold those plastic spring-slap-noise-stoppers. They just slipped on (and fell off) on my '01

The large-as-a-telephone-pole single piece aluminum driveshaft that was on my '01 6.0L is now a steel driveshaft. Question? Did they ever use that aluminum shaft on Duramaxes?

Soooo, lots of pluses and minuses. Got mine up to 680 miles now. Headed to Ft. Collins over Thanksgiving with the fifth wheel. Can't wait to try 'er out.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD EC SB 4x4 D/A, Jordan 2020 Brake Controller,<br />Transfer Flow 45 Gal., Reese 16k FW hitch, 2001 Sunnybrook 27RKFS FW

Never had an older model but will agree there needs to be some kind of flap on the sides of the front bumper. Road crude leaks out on the white air dam and looks like crap.
    \"03\" GMC Dmax, Allison, extended cab, long box. \"This ain\'t no grocery getter\"

Talking

AbqGeorge,

I have a 02 Dmax with the Aluminum Tele Pole.
    02 2500HD LT Dmax/Alli CC 4x4 Lt Pewter, Tan in, Amsoil, transynd, Bilsteins, Amsoil Air Filt, JK 4\" Exht, RollnLock, Rhino Liner, Remote start, alarm, High Idle, SPA DG211, Pred, Mega, Fumoto, Remote oil bypass, XL Tranny cooler, XM, Cell kit

Arrow

WOW!!!!!!!!,

I was just down the dealer the other day and was thinking about trading up to an "03 GMC, thinking I was going to gain something.

I am dissapointed that GM would CHEAP OUT on those little things, come on, for 40K+ we cannot even lock our spare tire and see under the hood in the dark

No dual power seats?? No decent overhead console???

I'll stick with my '02, thanks for posting those observations and GOOD LUCK with the '03!!!

GMC
    <b>\'02 2500HD - 435 RWHP/774 LB-FT on #2 ONLY..<br />HOT Juice,VA Box,Predator,AFE Stage II,Banks 4\"<br />RS9000\'s,Deep Pan,H2\'s & Pro-Comp 33\"<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/gmc2002dmax\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a><br /><a href=\"mailto:gmc2002duramax@earthlink.net\">gmc20 02duramax@earthlink.net</a></b>

I can lock my spare (option) and I have dual power seats (again option).
    <b>2003 GMC 2500HD D/A SLT 4x4 CC LB! (Polo Green) </b><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/53238125hQAlYl\" target=\"_blank\"><i>PICS HERE</i></a>

Thumbs up

Same as conradv--the $10 option lets you use your ignition key to access the spare tire lock. Much better looking and functional than the traditional loack I had before.
    TxDoc's Photos
    Member #5547

copperhead Guest

Talking

Same here, can lock my spare, radio is great, heated and power adjustable seats both sides, lighted exit, curb assist, power folding mirrors, blah blah blah, had to order it all and very happy.

It appears the most desirable features were available with the leather LT or SLT option. When I went with cloth seats, I lost the lumbar support, the option of a powered passenger seat, and the DIC display for MPG, etc.
    I still prefer the cloth seats, but I wish I could have had the features that were standard in my old 1998 SLE version.
    The new truck will tow what I need now, but I gave up a lot of quality for $8000 more. Don
    2003 GMC 3500 SLE, D/A, EC, LB, 2WD, White/Pewter, DeeZee boards, 5th wheel