Thread: Switch to 16" rims on trailer

Default Switch to 16" rims on trailer

Does anyone know the off set of 1994 Chev. 6 lug wheel? I want to upgrade the wheels and tires on my travel trailer. The trailer rims have a "0" off set.

I am also planning to switching to a 235/85 R16 E LT tire. What are some of the best brands of this size of tire? The Mich. Ribs are interesting but at $222. each they are out of my price range. Considering the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A at $139.00

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
    Former 2003 Chev. D/A CC, Snug Top shell, Prodigy, 2003 Arctic Fox 30U, Alternator mt. fuel filter.....basically stock truck.

2012 Ram Megacab 3500, Snug Top, same trailer, stock truck

GO DUCKS

GOD BLESS THOSE WHO PROTECT AND SERVE!

Can't really answer your question directly but I did change my enclosed GN trailer from 15 to 16" wheels and using the tire size you're asking about. I changed to 16" to gain trailer height, clearance between bed and trailer. My GN trailer is a tri-axle and I run used take off tires because I can run on 2 wheels if needed on each side and I carry two spares. See redneck trailer parts for good prices.
    Bob O.
    2004 K2500 DA LLY CC LT LB Wow! Edge w/A + BS + CAT pre fuel filter, 06 air box,
    2002 C6500 EC. 7.2 Cat NoMar rollback/ 92 C7500, 7.2 Cat, 25ton No-Mar / 2005 C5500 D/A rollback / 1969 Corvette 350-350 4spd AC T-top stock orginal
    XP850LE WOW nice ATV, 09-550XP hers, 03-Predator, 04 Honda400EX, 05-Banshee, 08-KTM525, 08 KFX700, 38' enclosed GN hitch

On my 5th Wheel, I switched from 15 inch Goodyear Marathon trailer tires to 16 inch Michelin XPS Rib tires (LT225x16 size).

There have been good reports on the BFG Commercial tires over on the RV forums. Try going to www.rv.net and searching over there.

Any one of these "LT" tires has to be better than the ST tires (especially the ones that come from China).

A tip: When you purchase the tires, make sure you check the manufacture date of the tires. When I bought my XPS Rib tires in 2007, three of the five tires I purchased had manufacturing dates of 2005. I convinced the tire retailer to exchange them for tires manufactured in 2007. My rationale was the tires would wear out due to "age" rather than actual miles (since I only use the trailer about 3000 miles per year).
    '02 Chev 2500HD EC/SB 4x4 D/A

Thanks to both of you for your response. I've completed my research and have decided on the BF Goodrich Commercial TA. It is interesting to note that Goodrich is owned my Michelin.

I went to a large discount tire retailer in the northwest and they tried to convince me that "hi-run tires" were the best. They could get them in my size in 14 ply. I researched all the RV forums and found numerous negative posts on these tires. Plus they need high pressure steel rims. 110# of pressure.

Discount/American Tire beat out Costco for the tires and matched the lowest rim price I could find. I will order them next week.

I have pulled travel trailers for 30 yrs. I never had any problems when running bias tires. When ST radials started coming out I had blow outs on all 3 trailers that had them. I am never over weight, check my pressure every day before traveling and run at max pressure. I don't drive over 65 mph. On one trip a Carlisle blew and took off my septic drainage system. On another trailer a tire blew and took out the wheel well and part of the side. Over $1000.00 in repairs. I put on the spare and it blew 50 miles up the road. These were Dunlops. My current trailer had Marathons on it when I purchased it. I've lost two tires on this trailer with no damage. all the tires were ST tires.

I'm tired of it.........
    Former 2003 Chev. D/A CC, Snug Top shell, Prodigy, 2003 Arctic Fox 30U, Alternator mt. fuel filter.....basically stock truck.

2012 Ram Megacab 3500, Snug Top, same trailer, stock truck

GO DUCKS

GOD BLESS THOSE WHO PROTECT AND SERVE!

Default Load Range E Tires

I had Goodyear Marathon 15" ST225/75/15 load range D tires on my Jayco and experienced nothing but problems. Between blowouts and ply seperations I had it. I recently switched to Denman ST225/75/15 load range E radial tires rated for up to 90 psi. After experimenting with pressures, I settled on 65 psi cold, which is 75 psi hot. No problems after many miles. They run only slightly warm to the touch at 65 mph speeds. Cost was around $400 out the door. Just another option.
    2005 Chevy 2500HD, CC, SB, 4X4, Duramax, ARE Topper, 60 gallon RDS toolbox/tank combo, Kennedy Headlight Booster, Isspro pyrometer and boost gauges, EGR Blocker, PCV Kit, Bilsteins, 265 Michelin MS-2, TTS Exhaust, pulling 35' Jayco travel trailer.