Thread: Manual glow plug wiring diagram.

Default Manual glow plug wiring diagram.

I found a wiring diagram for a manual glow plug setup. I think this setup is what I will use on my project 1976 gasser to a 6.2 diesel.

Here is the address for anyone in need of a manual glow plug system.

http://dept.150m.com/diesel2.html

Thanks,I saved that.I may go that route if I don`t get a programmable controller.
    aka:Tim

`91 V2500 Scottsdale Suburban:6.2 4L80E 4"Lift 35s
    `92 K3500 SLE SRW:Peninsular6.5TD Peninsular 5spd
    `72 K20 CustomDeluxe Highlander CustomCamper
    `72 K20 CheyenneSuper CustomCamper
    `72 K2500 SierraGrande
    `71 K10 CustomDeluxe 6' Fleetside

That is what I did, works better that any glow plug controller you can get and never malfunctions. Why mess with automatic crap when you can easily do it yourself? Just don't forget to turn it off or use a push button type switch.
    '83 Blazer, DB2 built like 4911 by Accurate Diesel, 6.5 oil pump, 6.5 turbo injectors, 82 6.2 block, 6.5 heads, serpentine, gm-4 turbo with turbo master, timing gears, custom stud girdle, lower compression
    Pics: http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s205/kkarlson_photo/

when u do it that way does the light in the cab come on when u hit the switch???

That diagram doesn`t show it,but it could be done.But,not really necessary since the right way to do it would be a momentary switch(spring-loaded push button).The plugs are "on" while you push the button and "off" when you remove your finger.The beauty is,you can vary the glow time as needed.But,use caution `til you get familiar with how much is needed.This is how heavy equipment has been started for years.You also have the option (if needed) of using starting fluid,since you can be sure the plugs won`t cycle as long as you stay off the button.

`72 K2500 SierraGrande

Arrow

I wired mine manual with the "Glow Plug" light in the circuit, but it really isn't necessary. The light won't indicate the plugs are working, just they are getting juice, which is what the OEM controller does. With the Ford type solenoid (what I used over 15 years ago), you will hear and feel it engage/disengage if it's mounted to sheet metal. Push the button, and she'll "clunk".
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Can you damage the glow plugs if you have them on too long?

Arrow

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave R (MN)
    Can you damage the glow plugs if you have them on too long?
    Yes. You need to determine the optimal glow time for the temp, and don't exceed it. It will respond as well to multiple short glows as to single long glows. I still have 9G's in my '85 and they have lasted since I changed to a manual glow. Before that, I was replacing a couple plugs every couple years, and dealt with my share of swelling tips. On less cold starts, 5 seconds would be enough, on medium cold starts, two 5 second glows would do it, and really cold starts would take 3. Never more than 3, and maybe a couple short afterglows. All with about 3-4 seconds between glows. I think long glows kill the plugs. The plugs I have in it now are 15 years old and all fire. I pulled them all out a couple years ago for a compression test and they looked as good as after the first year.

NEVER use starting fluid (ether)!!! That will kill them in a hurry.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

For the record,I agree about not using starting fluid.I never have and don`t suggest it.I know people that have,such as heavy equipment operators.One example is a guy that put a 6.2 in a`79 K20 and never had a glow plug system at all.He ran it for a few years until an employee totalled the truck.I was just saying that with a manual system you can do either/or since there`d be no chance of both together(as long as you`re thinking,that is),which is very bad.Like,damaged glow plugswould be the least of your worries.But,I don`t use it because it`s hard on a motor,period.

`72 K2500 SierraGrande

yeah people say use WD-40, lucky my piece of crap has never had and starting issuses
    85 m1008 -6.2/465/205