Thread: Follow up on dead battery - Replaced right side front latch and actuator

Default Follow up on dead battery - Replaced right side front latch and actuator

Symptoms:
    * Battery was draining
    * Occasionally the alarm would go off.
    * Noticed that under cold conditions the passenger door ajar indicator would stay on.
    * This was an intermittent problem

Effort was close to trivial.

2 6mm bolts that hold the trim panel in place. Removed those.
    Broke the plastic bolt sleeve that held the passenger door module on. I thought it was clips, but turned out it was 1 clip and one bolt I will get some contact cement and that should be fine.

All the clips and rods came off easily.

The hardest part was coughing up the $245 CAD for the replacement piece.

I noticed a fair bit of moisture in there behind the moisture barrier (plastic sheet). I'm assuming some moisture got in and was fouling the internals.

I tested, passenger door issue seems resolved. It'll be a week or two in chilly weather before I'm sure it's 100% solved.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2M4nLJCFofssumy02
    Last edited by gary_lucas; 01-15-2018 at 23:01.
    GMC Sierra 2500hd 2004.5 now with ARP studs

Thanks for posting this follow-up Gary. It will be interesting to see if this had anything to do with the battery drain. Did you look on ebay for the latch? I've bought door parts from ebay before and had good luck. (maybe I have just been lucky)
    Let us know about the battery drain!
    Thanks again,
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDavy View Post
    Thanks for posting this follow-up Gary. It will be interesting to see if this had anything to do with the battery drain. Did you look on ebay for the latch? I've bought door parts from ebay before and had good luck. (maybe I have just been lucky)
    Let us know about the battery drain!
    Thanks again,
    Dave
    I think I can just use some contact cement and it'll be as good as new (or even better!).

So far no issues, passenger door issue is still resolved. The proof will come over the next couple of weeks when the truck sits idle for a week at a time.
    GMC Sierra 2500hd 2004.5 now with ARP studs