Thread: Seeker conversion thread '85 suburban 6.2 to 6.5? 6bt?

Default Seeker conversion thread '85 suburban 6.2 to 6.5? 6bt?

Howdy!

I've got a 1985, 3/4 ton Chevy suburban. From the factory it came with a 6.2 diesel and TH400. I bought it a few years ago with a blown tranny, and a ton of electrical issues. She now runs with a NV4500 5 speed manual. My diesel has a going head gasket, and I'm looking for a bit more power. The options I've considered:

1) Complete overhaul of the 6.2, and add a Banks Turbo kit... pricey!
    2) Cummins conversion. Pricey, bay mangling, and I fear ripping off an axle or loosing a driveline.
    3) 6.5 conversion. Drop in motor, with a turbo. The research I've done leads me to this setup as "ideal": 97 block with the better cooling system, and use my existing mechanical injection system. (No, I will not use the computer with it, thanks! Simple, one wire..)

I'm open to suggestions and guidance. Right now I'm looking for a cheap 6.5 to start working on...

Seeker herself on Padre Island last summer.

Hi Firehound
    The swap of a complete 6.5 will bring up a couple of issues with the down pipe off the turbo.The 6.5 system was designed for the frames of the newer trucks,1988/2000.There have been a few swaps and the down pipe interfers with the heater box in the engin bay.It becomes worse if you have and want to keep your AC.The frame of your Sub is also in the way.I have read that some people will turn the down pipe to the outside of the frame to get around some of the issues.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Fix the head gasket and find a Banks turbo would be the easiest solution. The power would be similar to a 6.5 but not like the big boys.

I wouldn't rule out swapping in a Cummins. They fit under the hood of our square bodies like they were meant to be there. The cheapest way to do the conversion is buy the whole Dodge donor truck so you have most of the parts needed. Best also to use a manual transmission. Much more reliable and less costly.
    1990 ¾ ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
    -Cummins Diesel - 12 valve - factory rebuilt
    -6 speed bullet proof manual transmission - NV5600
    -Gear Vendors Overdrive
    -Upgraded Holset HX-35 turbo
    -NP205 iron transfer case
    -3.73 gears

1982 ½ ton Chevy Suburban
    -6.2L diesel - high nickle crack free 1982 block
    -Stans headers
    -Ported heads
    -Timing gear
    -4 speed automatic
    -3.08 gears
    -30 mpg on freeway

Here is how the Cummins fits in my 1990 Suburban. No body lift was needed and there was enough length to keep the mechanical fan.