Thread: 97 454 to a 6.5 from a 94

Default 97 454 to a 6.5 from a 94

I have just recently (today) aquired a 1997 suburban with a 454 and a little engine knock. I have a 1994 suburban with a 6.5l and a broken nose. I want to swap the motors and I'm looking for anyone who may have done the same. My biggest problem is the wiring. That spaghetti mess makes me shake. To top that all off they are two different computer setups. Anyone got any advice....other than run while i still can?

You'll need a new program EEPROM for the computer that will shift the transmission according to the diesel shift schedules. Your 454 has a TPS (Throttle Position Switch) that can be retrofitted onto the 6.5, but I'd rather use the genuine 1992-93 6.5 diesel TPS. Just splice in the wires.

Most of the mass of wires won't be used if you install a mechanically injected 6.5, which would make the conversion a whole lot easier.

Jim

Hi
    How bad is the 94 damaged?
    You might be better off fixing the 94 with the parts from the 97.Then you wouln't have to mess with wiring,or reregestering the 97 as a diesel.Sell the leftover parts to fund a paintjob and away you go.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Burning Oil is offline http://www.lubedealer.com/pmdcable/home.aspx

Where are you from? If you put the diesel in the gas Sub you MIGHT have problems at inspection time. You may be better off swaping all the stuff you want to the 94 and keeping the diesel VIN#
    1993 4x4 1ton 6.5/4l80e runs on WVO.
    1996 1ton 2wd crew cab 6.5/4l80e with db2 IP.
    1996 1ton 4x4 crew cab dually with Cummins diesel
    1970 Chevy 4x4 big block 4 speed.
    1972 Chevelle convertible with 540 CID engine.

We sell pmd extension cables and the Flight systems PMD or the new Stanadyne PMD with available 7 year warranty.
    Turbo Boost Bolts, engine oil cooler kits and lots of 6.5 turbo diesel parts. Check out the web site

www.pmdcable.com

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Oil View Post
    you MIGHT have problems at inspection time.
    Yes, some areas have issues with older engines going into newer vehicles.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Burning Oil is offline http://www.lubedealer.com/pmdcable/home.aspx

Also, in this county diesel's are exempt from a smog check, but when they see your "gas" vin# and you want it inspected like a diesel truck you might have problems. I'm not sure about that so don't base your build on it. It's just that an inspector can only go by what his computer tells him and he may not know how to adapt or want to because they do pay heavy fines if they get caught doing something wrong.
    Moral of the story, ask first.
    See you guys in about 3 weeks.
    1993 4x4 1ton 6.5/4l80e runs on WVO.
    1996 1ton 2wd crew cab 6.5/4l80e with db2 IP.
    1996 1ton 4x4 crew cab dually with Cummins diesel
    1970 Chevy 4x4 big block 4 speed.
    1972 Chevelle convertible with 540 CID engine.

We sell pmd extension cables and the Flight systems PMD or the new Stanadyne PMD with available 7 year warranty.
    Turbo Boost Bolts, engine oil cooler kits and lots of 6.5 turbo diesel parts. Check out the web site

www.pmdcable.com

Arrow

EPA web gateway for emissions regulation information concerning diesel conversions:

Individual state regulations
    EPA's Emissions Compliance pages

In most states, you cannot legally install an engine older than the vehicle. In California, if the engine you're installing is electronically controlled, all of the electronics and diagnostic ability must also be installed - to meet the letter of the law.

In any case, you'll need to visit the DMV to change the "fuel type" on the registration. Otherwise your vehicle will be required to meet any regulations for the original engine/powertrain - to meet the letter of the law.

Diesel conversions have not been a problem yet. I haven't heard from anyone so far who had a problem getting his vehicle registered.

Jim

PS: We are not legal experts concerning State & Federal emissions regulations. What has been stated here is my interpretation of the various state and federal documents pertaining to a diesel engine conversion. An individual state regulator could have an altogether different interpretation. We encourage you to do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

Those are a couple of good links.

One question, though. I've always noticed the distinction between "light duty" and "heavy duty" in engine swaps - you are not allowed to swap a "heavy duty" engine into a "light duty" vehicle under any circumstances from how the regulations read.

So is the 6.5TD out of a C/K1500 considered a "light duty" engine while one out of a C/K2500 or 3500 is a "heavy duty" engine? Does that mean that for the people swapping 6.5s into Jeeps, cars, and such that the donor vehicle has to be a 1500?

Or is there any way to get a "light duty" vehicle designated as a "heavy duty" vehicle? Like these people that put Rockwell axles under a Jeep - could they get that changed to a 3/4 or 1-ton designated vehicle?

Just doing some "what ifs" - which more often than not gets me into trouble one way or another...
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

The Federal EPA defines LD & HD sometimes quite differently from the individual states. Back some months ago I read the LD/HD definitions for about a dozen states having the strictest emissions regulations. Some follow the EPA's definition, many don't.

The EPA doesn't register or license motor vehicles - your state does. In the end, it is your state regs that matter most. The EPA documents say that they "encourage individual states to follow federal guidelines", but they cannot force individual states to comply. So, your state regulations and their interpretation are the final arbiter in determining what is legal and what is not.

One caveat.... If you operate a business that creates diesel conversions, you must comply with federal regulations. If you don't, the EPA will file a federal emissions tampering action against that business for failing to meet federal regs.

A "light-duty" 6.5TD is one with EGR and a fuel calibration for 180-hp. An HD 6.5TD is one without EGR and has a fuel calibration for 190-hp. The engines had an emissions sticker on the driver's side valve cover indicating its emissions certification level (i.e. LD/HD).

California is one of the most onerous for emissions regs. Have you read about or seen pics of the Duramax Impala, Duramax Chevelle, or Duramax Buick Grand National? All are registered, licensed and street driven. In California, vehicles 30 years old or older are exempt from emissions testing. Anyone see the 1939 International 1/2-ton pickup that Navistar restored using a 6.4L PSD?

BTW - There's a chap in the UK who is designing and building a composite full-scale MK-V Supermarine Spitfire, and will use a Duramax 6600 as the powerplant.... That'll be way cool! Talk about a diesel conversion!

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 01-23-2009 at 16:28.