Thread: DEF poor quality

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default DEF poor quality

2011 6.6 has indicator light saying DEF poor quality. I did what the booklet said and added more DEF. Will that fix? How long before the light should come off? Should I do something else?

Rick

Thumbs up

Hi Rick, It can take 20 to 30 or more miles of driving for the def system to reset. The same is true for adding fluid when you get a message telling you to add def.
    If it doesn't reset by then I would let GM fix it. Let us know what happens.

Arrow

Early last winter I spoke with the folks at our local Chevy dealership about what they were seeing for customer concerns regarding the new DEF-urea system used in the new (at the time) 2011 trucks. I was told that overall, the new 2011s were performing above expectations and very few problems were being reported, except for the urea systems - at that time.

The urea-based DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) will freeze at approximately 12 degrees F, and it seems the colder than normal winter temperatures experienced by the northern states last winter caused the fluid to freeze in the supply line between the DEF tank and the DEF injector located in the exhaust system. GM addressed this problem by modifying the vehicle programming. Though it took a couple of programming updates, the problem with DEF freezing appears to have been resolved.

While dealerships routinely perform any recently released computer updates before a new truck is sold, it might be wise to ask when or if the programming was updated to reflect the most recent DEF protocols for any new truck you’re interested in - or if you are having a DEF related problem with your 2011.

Jim

After 4 days the light went out. Thanks