Thread: Goose neck problem

Question

I have a 01 D/A 2500 EC LB. Also have a 18 ft. Exiss 3 horse trailer. All hooked up with a BW turnover hitch (mounted 5.5" ahead of the rear axel)problem is when I haul and hit bumps or dips I nearly hit the bed rails on the goose neck. If I crank up the stinger then the rear of the trailer drags. Am considering removing the bed and instaling a flat bed. Any suggestions or advice will be welcome.

Thumbs up

Mulerose

This is a problem with all newer trucks and their "higher" ride heights. Depending on the type of axles under your trailer, you can gain a couple of inches by moving the springs to the top of the axles. This will increase the step in height of the rear door, but horses will adapt, cattle will fight or look for a hole. We have done this with our stock trailer and gained 3-4" at the back and didn't have to adjust the stinger.
    Noticed most newer trailers(aluminum) have alot more clearance on the necks.

Good luck!
    '02 GMC,Duramax/Allison "FRMLPLR"(FarmallPuller) WORK
    '06 VW Jetta TDI ECONOMY
    '06 C6 Z-51 Convertible FUN

I had a similar experience with my horse trailer. My trailer was equipped with torsion bars (typical for horse trailers) and a dealer was able to raise the trailer 2" by cutting the axles off and welding a 2" square tube between the frame (actually subframe) and the axles. This was about a $600 job. The dealer could have raised the trailer 4" in a similar manner, but did not recommend doing so as I have an LQ trailer that is already quite tall. The extra trailer height made a big difference. I still need to be a bit careful when turning sharp under certain conditions as my trailer has very large braces which support the gooseneck and have a tendency to hit the bed rails when I'm turning on uneven ground.

I your truck is high in the back you have several possible suspension remedies that have been discussed in several posts.

Rick T
    3500 LS - 4WD Regular Cab Dmax/Allison - Summit White/Graphite<br />Stock + DeeZee Running Boards, Line-X, B&W Hitch, Fleetco Air Suspension

Maverick Guest

trailhorserider,
    Sounds like we have identical trucks except mine has a flatbed.

Mulerose,
    Take a look at my pics in the first albumn with trailers. The flatbed does help alot for clearance. Got a Featherlite 24' gn stock and a 4 horse slant w/LQ.

[ 10-06-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

Mulerose,
    I'm bettin' your Exiss has the torsion axles and doesn't have leaf springs. It's a big job cutting the torsion axle from the frame rail and putting a spacer block underneith and rewelding. I wonder if taller trailer tires would give you the bed rail clearance that you need...but doubt you'd have the fender clearance for that. Likely cheaper to do what trailhorserider did after all and gain yourself 2 extra inches and be done with it. When we ordered our 3-horse Elite Alum Gooseneck (4 years ago)I was worried about bed rail clearance too, so I had them add 3 extra inches just to be on the safe side. Sure glad that I did that...hate to have the trailer hit the bed.
    \'02 Summit White, 2500 HD, LT, D/A, Crewcab, LB, w/255-85-R16\'s, Westin SS nerfs, Pro-Tech Alum inbed toolbox,Putco bed rail caps, Amsoil Air Filter<p><br />\"IF it ain\'t Busted....It must not be mine!\"

Cool

My Eby trailers all have the axles bolted to the trailer since steel is not welded to aluminium. I recently talked to the factory about raising my 16' stock trailer since it is rather tight. I am planning on doing the job myself since it doesn't seem like a big job it will just take time. They told me to use thick wall box channel for spacing 2x2, 3x3 or 4x4 if needed. My 20' and 28' have a taller neck and there is not an interference problem.

John
    VOLUNTEER FIRECHIEF "Without COURAGE, all other virtues lose their meaning" Truck Info
    indigodually@hotmail.com
    Member # 7674
    Pulling many trailers including an '03 34' Montana 5'er adapted to G/N
    Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It...Then Sent It Back!