Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Injector Replacement

Question

I just had a guy call me that is thinking of buying a new Dmax. He has been hearing from so called reliable sources that there are a lot of injectors problems after 100K. He was told the injectors are $6K and $2700 to install them. Does anyone have first hand info on the prices? I understand there are some after market injectors available also. Later! Lone Eagle
    02 2500 HD EC SB<br />Juice 4.61<br />Post OEM Racor 660<br />Back Country Bars<br />Roll Lock Cover<br />B & W Turnover

I believe a new set of injectors is more like $4000 or less.

Still ridiculous and a good reason to dump the truck before the warranty on the engine is up.

Lone Eagle, Would you shoot me an e-mail?

Thanks, Burner--------&gt;
    2003 GMC SLT CC 4x4 SB-Cooper Tires-Speed Liner-Activator II-Full length ICI SS step bars B&W Goose & more to come
    -- Member #7527
    E-Mail --&gt;Twomuchplay(at)AOL(dot)com

Originally posted by hoot:

Still ridiculous and a good reason to dump the truck before the warranty on the engine is up.
    WOW !!!!!!

You didn't say that did you Hoot ??? What a "Pandora's Box" .....

My belief is that the aftermarket will make a showing in addition cost of Bosch injectors will settle,just like everything else "IF" needed ..... More rumors ??? You be the judge .....What is the life expectancy of a high pressure diesel injector ??

Mac

[ 07-23-2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: mackin ]

Originally posted by mackin:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by hoot:

WOW !!!!!!

You didn't say that did you Hoot ??? What a "Pandora's Box" .....

My belief is that the aftermarket will make a showing in addition cost of Bosch injectors will settle,just like everything else "IF" needed ..... More rumors ??? You be the judge .....What is the life expectancy of a high pressure diesel injector ??

Mac
    </font>[/QUOTE]MAC,

We are moving into the 4th model year. I feel bad for anyone that has had to fork up thousands for injectors after the warranty is just finished.

Doesn't "Dura" mean durable? GM needs to be real careful or the injector failure/cost issue could damage their reputation even more. I see no reason an engine that costs this much should have us worrying if our injectors will last past 100,000 and if we should be saving up for it.

The reason I say dump before 100,000 is if this does turn out to be the case than resale on these trucks will plummet especially on trucks approaching 100,000 miles.

[ 07-23-2003, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: hoot ]

jcummins Guest

I agree. I for one have concerns. I had intentions of running this truck well past 100M, that's one of the reasons I bought it. Now....just not sure. Just to much chatter about this to suit me.

If anyone has their pants in a bunch over it there is always an extended warranty ..... Any part is subject to fail sooner then later .....

GM isn't Bosch ..... Bosch R&D the system ..... Cummins has switched to a similar application ..... Why ??? Federal emission standards the same individuals that set diesel fuel standards well below European standards where the Bosch system has been very successful ....

GM has made changes, from what I've seen to make access for repairs easier therefore cost effective ..... Your quoting dealer prices for injectors ..... A set of Diesel Dynamics don't cost what your stating .... I feel sources will become available.... At one time not to long ago the Allison was thought to take whatever could be thrown at it,Dura ......

Where are all the out of warranty thousands ??? Where's Broker,

Guess I'm just not a worry wart, and have faith ..... VCR use to cost 700 bucks, too ......

Mac

[ 07-23-2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: mackin ]

He he, I think Broker only knows trailers. Ask him what trailer to buy and he'll answer in a heartbeat.

We buy diesel because we think they are tough engines. We pay big bucks and expect GM to back these engines. I don't like the idea of one injector going at a time. Can you say about $1500 x 8?

GM used Stanadyne in the 6.5 which is a reputable company but the worst nightmare occurred and GM left many many people out in the cold with junk. Not until like the end of the 6.5 run did GM come out and extend the injection pump warranty to 110,000 miles. Big whip.

GM has done it before. If this ends up being a real problem, they could very well do it again judging by how they treated the 6.5 customers.

The real problem right now is we are just now seeing significant Dmax owners surpassing 100,000 miles. At this point there aren't enough issues on this page to worry me that much. If one of mine goes before warranty is up..... she's gone. If I have it that long as it is. I'll take that as a sign of the future.

I love this truck. She has been really good to me so far. I haven't had a problem in probably a year and even then only minor things that were fixed first time.

Who knows..... maybe a 2004 GMC in my future? Maybe a Cummins? Ford 6.0 is not in the running. That engine makes ours look like the cats meow.

[ 07-23-2003, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: hoot ]

injectors can be had for 300.00 each and labor to replace all 8 would be about 800.00 or around 10-12 hours. list on injectors is higher, it just depends on who you know
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

Question

It would be interesting to know how many people here with injector problems (or any other engine/trans prolems) have played by the rules and never modified their engine control systems, and how many have. Can a correlation be made? This would be extremely valuable information that would help new owners make decisions about power products and truck modifications.

MP

careful MP lots of vendors here sell those modifications .........one injector @ 45k (return problem) modifications yes, problem as a result of no, I really don't think so......but???? dave
    2002 CHEVY 2500HD CC SB D/A 4X4<br />COMP/JUICE 4.61 PREDATOR 1.04 <br />BANKS 4\"EXHAUST<br />SUNCOAST PROLOC TRIPLEDISC TORQUE CONVERTOR & CLUTCH PACK UPGRADE<br />AFE STAGE 2<br />POWERSHOT 2000 PROPANE INJECTION<br />DVGAMBLE@BELLSOUTH.NET

I just heard it from a reputable source that they can be re-built for considerably less than $100 a piece. Of course even if they were free there still a PITA to R&R. Maybe the 04 fixes the pain to R&R. If so it would be a good reason to wait for the late model 04 as opposed to an early model 04.
    2001 C3500 Charcoal Grey, Lotsa Putco stainless stuff, CB with 250 watt amp, TST Competition box, 600 watt inverter

Arrow

If a correlation can be made, that info needs to be made available. Risk assessment is a normal part of life.

If a correlation can be made, people need to take more responsibility for their own actions.

MP

jcummins Guest

I would lean towards the fuel being the problem, not truck modifications. My nephew has driven semis for years. Says the company is having allot of injector issues. He thinks it's fuel related. I've been using additivies for several months, but really have no solid facts to say this will help.

I agree with Dave. I don't see any correlation between boxes and injector failure. The boxes only change injector pulse width or timing. The injector is merely a plunger attached to a solenoid, it doesn't know or care what the pulse width or timing is.

If the electrical solenoid part was failing on all 8 injectors due to the duty cycle being too high, I could see blaming the boxes. The key here is: how many injectors are failing on the vehicle. All 8 would indicate they are being operated outside of their design/capabilities. One or 2 scattered here and there would indicate poor Q.A.

The injectors are failing mechanically. This indicates to me the following possibilities:

1. Bosch is demanding too much from the type of metal that they're using and it is wearing out prematurely.

2. Bosch may have discovered their error and made running changes to the injectors without telling anyone. I could believe this, after the tobacco co.s, Enron, Andersen Consulting, et al. I don't trust any major corp. to tell the truth or even act in an ethical manner with regards to the public.

3. The fuel cleanliness required to operate at these pressures is not being met by the petroleum nor by the factory filter. George Morrison proved this well enough to satisfy me.

4. The fuel rails from an outside supplier may have been improperly stored before assy., causing corrosion to occur inside them and allowing rust particles to reach the injectors, since they are after the fuel filter.

5. Any combination of the above.

Let's hear from some other members: anybody have an injector fail on a totally stock Dmax? Are there any totally stock Dmaxes out there?

Regards, Steve

Cool

I have had 3 injector cup seal failures and 2 injector failures all before my mod happy ways took over. The only thing done at the time of failure was the exhaust.
    02 2500HD LT Dmax/Alli CC 4x4 Lt Pewter, Tan in, Amsoil, transynd, Bilsteins, Amsoil Air Filt, JK 4\" Exht, RollnLock, Rhino Liner, Remote start, alarm, High Idle, SPA DG211, Pred, Mega, Fumoto, Remote oil bypass, XL Tranny cooler, XM, Cell kit

Originally posted by dmaxalliTech:
    injectors can be had for 300.00 each and labor to replace all 8 would be about 800.00 or around 10-12 hours. list on injectors is higher, it just depends on who you know
    I heard mid two's ..... Now you know why I'm not running to jump ship,or should I say that worried "if" a failure should occur .....
    Just think in a few more months ......

Mac

Hoot ,what's up 3yr itch.....

[ 07-23-2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: mackin ]

2002 D/A - totally stock - 45,000 miles - daily driver and work truck - tows a big load with the best of them - have had some knocking problems, but none diagnosed as an injector.

MP wrote:

It would be interesting to know how many people here with injector problems (or any other engine/trans prolems) have played by the rules and never modified their engine control systems, and how many have. Can a correlation be made? This would be extremely valuable information that would help new owners make decisions about power products and truck modifications.
    Excellent idea and lets continue to encourage
    the high mileage lurkers to post on their experiences.

Maybe a clever computer person could put a
    page together where we could self enter our mileage, modifications and service issues.
    This page could be accessed by TDP members..........

In a moment of weakness I almost purchased the Juice, however, the reality is
    that this truck has as much power as I need
    for daily driver and my towing needs. The only
    modification was the addition of my secondary
    fuel filtration. I'm at 28,000 miles and my engine just
    purrs.........

[ 07-23-2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]
    02 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, 4x4, Lucerix Mirrors, Fumoto valve, Amsoil air filter, <br />Kaydenco mudflaps, Hadley Air Horns, Lund Hood Protector, Prodigy,<br />2 micron Racor Post OEM fuel filter install photos:<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/66562661oghYok\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/album/66562661oghYok</a>

Originally posted by 56Nomad:
    MP wrote:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> It would be interesting to know how many people here with injector problems (or any other engine/trans prolems) have played by the rules and never modified their engine control systems, and how many have. Can a correlation be made? This would be extremely valuable information that would help new owners make decisions about power products and truck modifications.
    Excellent idea and lets continue to encourage
    the high mileage lurkers to post on their experiences.

Maybe a clever computer person could put a
    page together where we could self enter our mileage, modifications and service issues.
    This page could be accessed by TDP members..........
    </font>[/QUOTE]Are you suggesting a secret place to air our dirty laundry ??

Mac