Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
I suspect there is a sticking valve in the valve body.

These are aluminum bodies and the valves can get a rough spot in the valve bore due to debris circulating in the oil.

The only real fix is going to be to remove the valve body, totally disassemble it and locate the offending valve/bore

Missy
Yeah, I think that is what I am looking at too. Ugh! I hate messing with automatics. This will probably give me the motivation to get off my ... butt and convert to a long tail TH-350 and 2.73:1 rear end already. I at least understand TH-350s and can rebuild them. I still hate doing it but I'd rather have a trans I can work on without $10,000 in special tools and that are fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
First I would drop the pan carefully and see whats in the bottom.

If you find a serious amount of metal crud, then herein lies the issue.

The 700R is picky about having clean oil.

Older boxes like the 400 are more forgiving of dirty oil than the 700R

Hope this helps
I have already been inside (I will of course check it again) and there was no muck in the pan. Just a very light film of material. Actually a lot less than you usually find on a 30K trans service. The fluid was still bright red too. I attribute that to the dual cooler setup I am running (trans fluid to the rad, then from the rad to an 18,000 GVWR auxiliary cooler) and that it nearly always stays locked up in 3rd and 4th gears.This is an aux valvebody 700, so I always have TCC power unless I am on the brake pedal. Thanks as always Missy, and have a Happy New Year!