Thread: DPF Re-Gen

Default DPF Re-Gen

What is the normal cleaning time / frequency on a regen? Mine has been in regen for 35 miles oil life reduced 18% and still in regen.
    40,000 miles LMM
    07 Chevrolet 2500 NBS LTZ 4x4 6.5'Box xCab

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by silvdur View Post
    What is the normal cleaning time / frequency on a regen? Mine has been in regen for 35 miles oil life reduced 18% and still in regen. 40,000 miles LMM
    Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regeneration is initiated based on one of the following four criteria.

1. Miles driven since last regeneration.
    2. Fuel used since last regeneration.
    3. Engine run time since last regeneration.
    4. Pressure differential across DPF. A lower pressure differential is better. A high pressure differential could indicate a soot buildup in the DPF.

A complete regeneration requires that the vehicle be driven at speeds above 30-mph for approximately 20-30 minutes (like highway driving). Exhaust gases can reach temperatures above 500° C (1022° F) during DPF regeneration. If a regeneration process is interrupted, it will continue from where it left off once the appropriate conditions are met.

If the vehicle is driven in ways that inhibit active regeneration, such as stop-and-go city driving, the vehicle ECM will illuminate a "regeneration required" lamp to alert the driver that the DPF requires cleaning. Two options exist for the driver; he can either schedule a DPF service with his dealer or drive the vehicle at a sustained speed that allows the active regeneration to complete on its own.

Regen duration can vary, but typically around 30-40 miles. I prefer to set up a monitor so that I can track the soot loads and the success. Otherwise a guy is just running blind. Not quite as critical on the LMM, but the LML with the 9th injector and potential issues is far more risky to run blind.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!