Thread: Airbag light staying on

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Airbag light staying on

I did a search and only found a few hits. My airbag light has been staying on lately. I've checked the fuse and it's good. The book says the bags may deploy. Any truth to that? Does pulling the fuse disable that. Also does anyone have any suggestions on where to start some "home" troubleshooting. I hate to take it in and have them "start looking". That always ends up in a big bill.
    Got Big Truck 2001 Chevy/Duramax/4X4/6 speed/crew cab/long box

Check the wiring and plugs to the frame mounted sensors up front.

I had the same problem recently with my 03. The “Service Air Bag” message started appearing intermittently in the DIC then the control buttons on the steering wheel became intermittent. Eventually the Service Air Bag Message would stay on and all the buttons stopped working …Turned out to be a bad SIR Coil (clock-spring) which is under the steering wheel. The SIR Coil is a spiral wound flex-tape circuit housed I in a circular plastic case. It provides the wiring connection between the moving steering wheel and the stationary wiring harness on the steering column. The SIR system is complex with multiple sensors (motion/position/seat) and an SDM - Sensing Diagnostic Module. The SDM periodically measures the Air Bag circuit resistance and if it finds a fault, the air bag light and message turns on. When first looking for the problem I pulled the SIR fuse to disable the system – wait at least a minute for the system to discharge before working on it. Next I removed the knee bolsters and checked all the SIR (Sudden Impact Restraint) system wiring (yellow wires and connectors) including connections to the SDM under the driver’s seat … didn’t find anything that was loose and/or damaged. Given the steering wheel buttons had also stopped working it pointed to the SIR coil. I installed a new SIR Coil (cost $214 – $300 list ) and it’s fixed. couldn't just buy the coil – its part of the steering wheel wiring harness so the whole harness has to be replaced.... knee bolsters, dash covers, airbag, and steering wheel have to be removed ... GM steering wheel puller is also needed.

Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

Thanks jbplock. I currently only have the little idiot light. Nothing on the message center. FBJR I took a look for the sensors up fromt but couldn't find anything. Could you provide a little explination on where they are located. Thanks
    Got Big Truck 2001 Chevy/Duramax/4X4/6 speed/crew cab/long box

Arrow

Just a note about airbags....

All connectors associated with the airbags will be yellow. It makes it easier to ID them.

Just be sure to pull the airbag fuse BEFORE messing with any connectors. In addition to the sensors near the front end, there is also 2 connectors behind the dash. One for the steering wheel is behind the dash, above and to the left of the steering column, and another is behind the airbag. Pulling the steering wheel airbag is very easy without any forcing. Not sure where the passenger side connector is (haven't had to look for that one).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com