Thread: Anyone raced a Hemi??

Buddy at work just got a New Dodge with a Hemi...he's starting to talk trash about how fast it is. If I were to race him, what would I expect? I do have the Juice.

Thanks.
    2002 White Ex Cab, L/B, D/A

You'd probably win. You have about 390-400 HP off the crank with normal juice on level 4--Hot juice has more. He has 340 off the motor, if he is stock. If he is a 3/4 ton, you'll beat him soundly, If he has a 1/2 ton, it will be closer.

If you have Hot Juice on Level 4, make sure you won't put the tranny in limp mode. With either Juice, make 2-3 full throttle runs before you race him to make sure the tranny had adapted to the full throttle passes. Otherwise it will defuel quite a bit.

Also, don't launch so hard you spin. In a drag race, he who spins loses. If you have a 4x4, you can make a full-stall launch. If you have a 2WD, you'll need to fins what rpm you can launch with to minimize wheel spin.

Blaine

[ 12-20-2003, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: afp ]
    2002 Crew Cab Short Bed 2500 HD 4x4, Duramax, Allison, Amsoil, Magnaflow 4\" x 20\" muffler, Juice,; Fold-a-Cover, nerf bars, Husky mats, Weather Tech windo vent shades; bed mat, tailgate protector, bulkhead protector, wheel-well protectors; mud flaps, Leveling kit, Frontier front end replacement

mtomac Guest

there was a reg cab 2wd hemi with intake and exhaust mods at the track this past summer running mid 15's

I raced my buddies Hemi CCSB with a Quad 90 tune in. Wasn't even close....especially after 40 mph. The Dmax really out pulls it fast.
    Maverick
    2005 GMC 1500 Crew Cab SLT-I know, its a gasser....

Well my causin is on his 2nd truck and 4th yes the 4th engine. So far the 2nd engine in the second truck is the first to make it past 1500 miles. Kinda cool seeing his dad pick him up from the stealership for the 4th time in a row in his so far flawless d-max. Hemi's are real easy to beat when they are on the back of a tow truck. again...and a again....and a again. Yip I think that's what you call consistant.

My buddy just picked up a new crew cab HEMI and is already picking a race with me, said he ready to spank my rattle trap. (that's what he calls it). looks like I'm going to have to get edged up in order to keep up.already have AFE II intake and waiting on Kennedy's 4inch, It will be here any day.trying to postpone the event.
    03 GMC D/A ex cab short bed, AFE Stage 2 , kennedy 4 inch pipes.Juice attitude

I raced a so-called "Hemi" about 2 months ago. It was no contest. It was about a 1/4 mile run, light to light and I didn't even spool up. I wasn't really expecting a race, he just hit it on the green. Once I realized what was happening, I hammered down and smoked him. He was a bit shocked to say the least. If he's stock, you should have no worries with a little "JUICE".
    2002 GMC HD2500 CC SLT 4x4 D/A!
    One beautiful Black Max with all the toys, now including THE JUICE, Banks Monster Exhaust, Genuine Steel's Stainless Nerf Bars, Tip-up tonneau cover, Kennedy Headlight Harness, Amsoil 2-stage in modified air box, Cabelas Bug Shield, And Weathertech Window Visors.
    It can't get much better than this!
    " INSIDE EVERY MAN, THERE'S A FATBOY TRYING TO GET OUT! "

What about stock to stock. Not all of us are on steroids! Just curious.
    Black 2018 Chevrolet High Country 2500HD

Originally posted by max out:
    My buddy just picked up a new crew cab HEMI and is already picking a race with me, said he ready to spank my rattle trap. (that's what he calls it). looks like I'm going to have to get edged up in order to keep up.already have AFE II intake and waiting on Kennedy's 4inch, It will be here any day.trying to postpone the event.
    From all the posts I have read, the AFE stage II and the 4" exaust may not be enough to beat a shortbed 2 wheel drive Hemi. For the price of those items mention, you could have a power box that would beat the Hemi easy.
    I have run the "hot" juice and Flowmaster muffler for the last 9 months. Have beat the only Hemi that tried to run me with no problem.
    02 EC-SB 4x4 Hot Juice, Flowmaster<br />AFE Stage II air box<br /><br />86 Turbo Regal

Thats probly true, but I wanted to make the big air pump breath more freely before adding power box.
    03 GMC D/A ex cab short bed, AFE Stage 2 , kennedy 4 inch pipes.Juice attitude

The only "Hemi" that tried to race me was a similar truck to mine, Quadcab 2500HD with a 5 speed. (His was a 4x4). Granted it was up here above 5,000 feet, but we were about even until I hit 3rd, and then I was gone. I thought he had missed a shift or something. . . but he tried again at teh next stop, and he must have been turning 5,000 RPM when the green came on . . . beat me out of the hole, but before the top of 3rd gear (which is only like 35 MPH) I was going by him again.

I think GM 6.0 gassers put more power to the ground, at least up here.

Yes, it's still absolutely stock.
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC D/ZF SB Fire Red 2WD no longer the fastest stocker up the hill at the TDP Pull Off. -sold-
    2004 Chevy Suburban 5.3L 2WD
    1996 GMC Sierra 1500 5.0L 5sp 2WD LB

I soundly beat a Dodge Hemi on an uphill stop light start with my 1992 V6 5-Speed Camry ! Should have seen the look on his face.
    Edmonton AB, Canada<br /><a href=\"http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/tkalyniuk/lst?.dir=/2001+Silverado+3500&.view=t\" target=\"_blank\">Silverado 3500 Photos</a><br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/tkalyniuk/lst?.dir=/2003+Cardinal+312-BHLE&.view=t\" target=\"_blank\">Cardinal Photos</a>

I beat a Silverado SS with the comp tude on level four in Grand Rapids. Even the Dodge guys will admit the SS will beat the hemi...well some of them will...
    03 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A CC SB

The Dodge is on an electronic leash.It has torque sensing software that holds power back because the tranny can't handle it.It is defeatable,but not many owners know about it.

I'm into mid-60's Mopars and am on that site every day.There was a thread about the Hemis not making advertised hp.A tech replied back with the scoop on the limiter.
    \'04 GMC,White,EC,4x4,LB,D/A<br /><br />Dave Walters<br />Aurora,Co.<br />whdavid@qwest.net

Originally posted by 64postcarnut:
    The Dodge is on an electronic leash.It has torque sensing software that holds power back because the tranny can't handle it.It is defeatable,but not many owners know about it.
    That's interesting to hear. I used to own a 2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500 496/4L80E/4.10s. It was a dog off the line but once it got rolling it was a monster! Interstate on-ramps and passing were a blast! I figured it too had electronic intervention programmed into the drivetrain computer to cut back the power and save on drivetrain wear and tear. I wish I knew how to defeat it at the time!
    -Chris

Chris,

The 4L80E has something like a 2.48 low gear. That is probably why it had a lazy launch. The Allison has a 3.1 ish low. I wich GM made the 4L80E with the 3.1ish low..........

Blaine
    2002 Crew Cab Short Bed 2500 HD 4x4, Duramax, Allison, Amsoil, Magnaflow 4\" x 20\" muffler, Juice,; Fold-a-Cover, nerf bars, Husky mats, Weather Tech windo vent shades; bed mat, tailgate protector, bulkhead protector, wheel-well protectors; mud flaps, Leveling kit, Frontier front end replacement

Talking

I had a hemi pass me at a highway intersection so that he wouldn't have to follow me up a long steep hill. He only slowed to maybe 20mph for the stop sighn, then drove toward oncoming traffic like a jackass until he was around me.

Needless to say that by the time he reached the top of the hill I had disappeared into the horizon ahead of him. [img]tongue.gif[/img] His truck was clearly much lighter than mine. It was childs play passing him on that hill, I had a heck of a lot more balls than he did. --Nixter
    2003 2500HD D/A CCLB 4x4 dark green metallic, A.R.E. MX shell, Bayliner 2452 hardtop, Atec Riverboat, 2 Yamaha quads

The 5.7 Hemi is only a great motor because it's better than the previous Dodge truck V8's.

It is thirsty, and peaky for a truck motor. It's powerband closely resembles a Corvette Engine.
    Hemi 330hp@5400, 375tq@4200 / Vette 350hp@5400, 360tq@4000. While it has a high advertised HP #, it lacks power down low that the competitor's base engines have. Compare to the weakest current 3/4 ton truck engine, the 5.4 Ford - it's peak tq is 350ft/lbs at 2500rpm. The 6.0 Chevy also has a high rpm peak torque (4000), but it's torque band is nearly flat from 2000 up, and the Hemi is not.

To put the Hemi performance in perspective, one of the guys I race with has a 2002 Chevy 1/2ton shortbed with the 5.3 gas engine. It runs 14.8x in the 1/4 mile. Most Hemi's are mid to low 15's. Why? You need low end power to accelerate a truck.
    Tuner of fast "diesel" powered trucks, www.McRatRacing.com

2005 GMC 2500HD "Casper" 11.77 @ 114.5 on #2. 674rwhp, 1380tq. EFILive "McRat" tuning, Mike L Suncoast, PPE Dual CP3's, HighTechTurbo "McRat" charger.
    2004.5 GMC 3500 "Big Blue" 13.1 @ 103 on #2. PPE Tuned, Mike L Suncoast Trans.
    2006 GMC 2500HD "Wendy" 13.9@96 on #2, PPE tuning, Mike L Suncoast trans.

hemi is a overated POS.......why waste time with a hemi cobras and lightnings are much more fun to kill
    2002 CHEVY 2500HD CC SB D/A 4X4<br />COMP/JUICE 4.61 PREDATOR 1.04 <br />BANKS 4\"EXHAUST<br />SUNCOAST PROLOC TRIPLEDISC TORQUE CONVERTOR & CLUTCH PACK UPGRADE<br />AFE STAGE 2<br />POWERSHOT 2000 PROPANE INJECTION<br />DVGAMBLE@BELLSOUTH.NET

Originally posted by sdaver:
    hemi is a overated POS.......why waste time with a hemi cobras and lightnings are much more fun to kill
    I just saw a stock hemi truck dyno 257 rwhp, lol. That's pretty bad considering the advertised rating. 88 hp drivetrain loss?