Thread: 6.2 Brake shudder

Default 6.2 Brake shudder

Hi! I have an 86 C10 SWB 2WD 6.2 automatic. The brakes have shuddered badly since i got it. I bought it with a bad trans so no test drive. Stuck an old trans that I already had in it and it runs fine but when you hit the brakes it is like a wet dog shaking off. The front springs were shot so I had them replaced along with ball joints and some other front end stuff. The rotors were turned, new pads and rear drums and shoes, No luck. Finally tried new rotors and still the same. If you stop with only the emergency brake it seems ok. My mechanic friend that did the work said he even tried it with the belt off the p/s pump to see if that made a difference, and said it did not. The pedal does not seem to pulsate, but stopping slowly at low speed it feels like the brakes are being pulsed with every rotation of the tires. The tires are 235/15 in decent shape and before this set I had a brand new set of 235/15s installed on some Buick wheel that I later swapped with my 92 GMC. All the different wheels and tires made no difference at all. Is there any was a master cylinder, propotioning valve or anything in the hydraulic system could cause this, or the hydroboost either. The thing is driving us nuts! PlLEASE HELP!!

Check the suspension bushings - your symptoms point to them.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Thanks! There is a tire shop right near my house that also does alignments and other repairs. I have dealt with them in the past and trust them.The truck needs an alignment anyway, so I am going to have them check the front end over , do any necessary repairs and align it. I will let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Default hydro booster

Quote Originally Posted by lp1330 View Post
    Thanks! There is a tire shop right near my house that also does alignments and other repairs. I have dealt with them in the past and trust them.The truck needs an alignment anyway, so I am going to have them check the front end over , do any necessary repairs and align it. I will let you know what happens. Thanks again.
    Have you thought about your hydro booster acting up? Do a little search online for hydro boost problems and see what you find. I seem to remember having some strange behaviour like that from the booster and I also recall that they are not to difficult to diagnose and repair. Was a long time ago now though so...