Thread: 1994 4WD fwd propeller shaft ?

Default 1994 4WD fwd propeller shaft ?

I removed shaft to fwd gearbox and tought that the splines was so corroded that it s like fixed. No longitudinal movement. I have used Rust Off for weeks but no change.
    Is there some tips and tricks how to take the shaft apart ?

1989 Buick Le Sabre w. 6.5l disel + thm700r4

Hi
    Can you drill and tap in a grease nipple to force it apart with grease?
    Hook one end to something solid with a heavy strap,and pull the other end with a comealong/winch and start pumping in grease.
    Good Luck
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Arrow

The grease gun is a good idea. Lots of pressure/force to be had there. Very effective for removing pilot bearings and such (similar situations). Be very careful if there's air in there. Once broken loose, they can come apart explosively, like a bullet from a gun. Sand bags can help contain it without damaging anything.

I wouldn't use a come-along or winch. A slide hammer would be much better.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

The front shafts move very very little as the gearboxes are fixed, so any salt spray,water and such just sits in the splines and rusts it solid.

I agree 100% with the grease and slide hammer plan.

You might try sticking the slip yoke end in a pail of diesel fuel and letting to soak.
    This stuff is very thin and may help.

If it gets too honery, a replacemnt shaft may be in order.

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I had one come in last week froze solid. I could not even get it off the truck. I would have had to unbolt transfer case and slide it back to get the darn thing out. I cut as close to the slip on the stub side as I could then removed in two pieces. Took the pieces to the local rack and axle shop and they welded on a new stub and slip, installed new U-joints painted and balanced for $100 while I waited. Good as new. Thats the only way to go in my opinion.
    1996 GMC Suburban, 6.5 TD, 4L80E, 3.73 Full floating limited slip rear end, 285/75R16E Dayton Timberline ATII's.