Thread: Rotten Egg Smell!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rotten Egg Smell!

I have a problem that I haven't encountered in a diesel truck before. When my truck idles it gives off a nasty rotten egg smell. It leaks into the cab from any opening like the vents or an open window. It goes away once I start moving, and most likely because I am moving. What in the Holy Lord's Sacred Name is this and what's causing it? It just started at around 90k miles. And if you have the answer, please be gentle. One more dealer only part/fix and I may just puke. Thanks for anyone who can help me.
    '01 Silverado Std Cab/LB D/A 4x4
    -4" Straight Exhaust
    -Homemade $48 Intake
    -07-08 Telescoping Mirrors
    -285 Nitto Terra Graplers
    -Boss 7'6" HD Plow
    '90 Jeep Wrangler YJ w/ 6.2L NA
    '00 Harley Davidson FXDWG
    '73 Firebird Formula (90% resto'd)

Arrow

How is the charging system? Is the alternator "COOKING" the batteries? Are the batteries leaking? If the batteries are "GASSING" when the engine is running, that will make a rotten egg/ sulfur smell.
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

Hmmm...gassers often emit sulphurous smelling odors from the catalytic converter, but haven't smelled that with diesels.

Also, your '01 wouldn't have a cat, right? Or...is it a Cali truck? If so, I'd say its something to do with your cat and or EGR system.

Either that or burning Shell Rotella, getting past the rings when your trucks pistons aren't quite warmed up and sealing yet. Try changing brands next oil change - that would be an easy one to eliminate.

(BTW your 2000 FXDWG is my favorite model Harley. I worked at a dealership as Parts Manager in 2000, and rode a few - they have the right stance, bars, and look very nice. I built a 2000 FXDX at that time, with color matched purple quarter fairing, a big bore kit, torque enhancing cam, 44mm carb and a Vance/Hines 2:1 pipe. It was the only H-D I personally have ridden that would hook up and wheelie right off the launch, and then bounce the front tire effortlessly 8-10" when banging 2nd...what a monster ride. )
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Arrow

'01 CA Duramax trucks don't have a cat. The cat and EGR didn't start until M/Y 2002.

If not batteries, check for a coolant leak (well, check anyway). Most probably the turbo coolant return line behind the fan pulley. Any indication of crud in that area will be the coolant hose to tube connection failing. Old Dex-Cool vaporing off of a hot engine will have an acidic odor to it.

Several motor oils have a bad odor for a while after a change. Rotella is one of the worst. The LB7 engine crankcase vent is open to atmosphere, and can have a smell pretty close to the sulphuric smell of other chemicals. If you aren't experienced with all the different odors, it can be difficult to tell what it is. But, rotten eggs usually points right to the batteries.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

My truck is an Ohio truck, so I would think emissions are out. Interesting that someone brought up the batteries. I have a problem with my batteries being dead. In fact, right now my truck is parked because I can't keep them charged long enough to drive it somewhere. I can jump start the truck, go somewhere, and when I go to leave the batteries may or may not have the sand to start hte truck back up. Sometime they hold a charge and start overnite and sometimes they are dead in 15 minutes. I have been looking for a 12v constant draw that has been illuding me. Also, while I was deployed to Afghanistan from January to September, the truck mostly sat. With a "cooking" battery, would changing the alternator or batteries help this? Both batteries checked good when tested. I also changed out my starter. Thanks for the input.
    '01 Silverado Std Cab/LB D/A 4x4
    -4" Straight Exhaust
    -Homemade $48 Intake
    -07-08 Telescoping Mirrors
    -285 Nitto Terra Graplers
    -Boss 7'6" HD Plow
    '90 Jeep Wrangler YJ w/ 6.2L NA
    '00 Harley Davidson FXDWG
    '73 Firebird Formula (90% resto'd)

Are the batteries OEM? If so, they have out lasted their 5-6 year rating. Replace the batteries and hook a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) and check the charging system voltage. Should be around 14.6 volts. Check/ clean the major battery grounds on the block. There should be one on each side down low on the block. Just to add, I have never smelled any kind of sulfur smell from a DMAX regardless of year. The new LMM's have their own regen smell, but that's a whole other creature.

Arrow

Hey FIGHTFAN, are you near a dealer that is / was named VOSS Chevrolet? Our local field engineer used to call on dealers out your way. That was 12 - 15 years ago though. Things do change of course.

Go to ACDelco website and look up nearest Delco TSS shop. Call them, talk to them, most do a real good job, however like dealers, some skate by. The TSS shops that care take a lot of GM training some the same as dealer some a Delco version. Find a good independent shop and ditch the dealer!!! bob...........
    Bob O.
    2004 K2500 DA LLY CC LT LB Wow! Edge w/A + BS + CAT pre fuel filter, 06 air box,
    2002 C6500 EC. 7.2 Cat NoMar rollback/ 92 C7500, 7.2 Cat, 25ton No-Mar / 2005 C5500 D/A rollback / 1969 Corvette 350-350 4spd AC T-top stock orginal
    XP850LE WOW nice ATV, 09-550XP hers, 03-Predator, 04 Honda400EX, 05-Banshee, 08-KTM525, 08 KFX700, 38' enclosed GN hitch