Thread: Sonoma convert

Default Sonoma convert

I have a 2000 Sonoma, I am considering putting a diesel motor in it. It is a 4x4, zr2. What would be an easy diesel motor to instal? What all would I need to change out to make it work correctly?

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

There's no easy conversion for that.

You have to find a motor that will fit within your engine space, that doesn't weigh 1400 lbs, and that you can find a transmission/t-case setup that will work in your vehicle. On top of this, unless it's a really small motor, you may need new axles or a stronger frame to handle the torque a diesel puts out over what you have.

All that being said, if you could find an old 6.2L Chevy/GMC motor, it would probably be the easiest to do.

You will still need to do a lot of work to make everything else work. Especially when it comes to your 4wd. Those little trucks 4wd systems weren't as simple as their older brothers and once you replace transmissions/t-cases life can become very complicated if you want it to work.

If I were in your shoes, here's what I'd do.

Get a 6.2, SM465 (4 speed manual non overdrive trans) with a NP208 T-case. The cool thing about this setup is that you can grab another NP241 (newer version) from a 90's Chevy that will give you the driver's drop you need for your front axle. Then buy a POSI-Lok kit for your front axle that will allow you to engage it manually without all the vacuum crap that is on there now.

You will probably have to body lift your truck to fit the motor/trans and T-case in, as well as the radiator as the 6.2's radiator is HUGE compared to what you have now and you will need all of it.

I've converted a few vehicles to 6.2's that weren't originally, love them for the simplicity. I've also converted a few vehicles with auto transmissions to manuals, because I hate a transmission that shifts at inappropriate times, and I like having a third pedal.

Good luck, research, research, research.....Figure out what you want to do, then go for it.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

Arrow

It would help to first define what you would like to end up with. For example, if you said easy drive-ability, excellent fuel economy and that the truck won't be used for any heavy-duty towing, the choices widen.

If you are tech savvy, and have worked with automotive wiring and computers, the choices get interesting. i.e. VW, Jeep, Mercedes, and any newer modern diesel used in cars and light vehicles.

If you want simple and inexpensive, then the choices narrow, with the 6.2/6.5 diesel becoming a more likely choice - assuming an 800-lb V-8 will fit the chassis.

A Cummins 4BT is heavy and is more industrial by nature, offering poorer drive-ability and more noise than the other choices.

Jim

The 2nd Gen versions of these trucks have had numerous engine swaps done to them including big block conversions. As such the 6.2/6.5 may well be a good choice. Just don't use the 4L60 that was originally installed. At the very least get a 4L60 that was spec'd for one of the larger trucks (beefier internals and better convertor).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10

Scroll down to engine swaps.

If your not interested in keeping the tire manufacturers in business, and while not available here, the little 4 cylinder Duramax was an option in other parts of the world as was the Isuzu 2.4 diesel (base for the DMax???).

Another option is one of the smaller Japanese diesels like the 4 or 6 cylinder Toyota engines but getting the parts to marry together may be challenge.

A few years ago I ran across an adapter company that actually had a kit that glued a Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel to the GM trannys. Can't remember where I found it but the 300 TD would wind up to 5,500 RPMs so you won't even have to play with gearing.

Just some thoughts

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)