TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2017 - TDP's 21st Anniversary
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > Chevrolet & GMC 2500HD/3500 Light Trucks > 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain Discussion Forum for the 2001 & newer 2500HD/3500 Trucks, Transmissions & Drivetrain

Old 08-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_lucas View Post
Thanks for the info, when I replaced my steering gear the color of my fluid was horrible. Like Black.

Most of the fluid in the system drained out but I need to do another flush to the get the rest.

Is there an inline filter for power steering in these trucks?
No filter... Though one can be added.

https://www.google.com/search?q=powe...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 08-17-2017, 10:05 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Power View Post
No filter... Though one can be added.

https://www.google.com/search?q=powe...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Nice, I'll get one and figure out where to insert it. I guess in the return line is the obvious place!

I'll take some pics when i'm done.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_lucas View Post
Nice, I'll get one and figure out where to insert it. I guess in the return line is the obvious place!

I'll take some pics when i'm done.
Yes, inserting a fluid filter in a low pressure line would make the most sense.

In searching PS fluid recommendations here in these forums, I found threads that made the case for synthetic ATF (some by DMaxMaverick). Synthetic fluid will handle higher temperatures better than conventional fluids.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Arrow

Adding a low-restriction filter to the return will not hurt anything, but it should be located BELOW the reservoir. The tiniest air leak (even if it isn't leaking fluid) can cause the additional fluid volume to drainback and overflow. The benefits of a return line filter is minimal, IMO. Power steering system issues usually involve pump failure, which will cause issues/failures with downstream components. A high pressure filter should be installed at the pump outlet to maximize system protection. Ideally, both would provide the maximum benefit, along with a cooler (which should also be installed below the reservoir level).

I do not recommend using synthetic ATF in place of OEM recommended power steering fluid. My reason for discussing it is purely anecdotal personal experience. I use it, and have had excellent results. My power steering system issues were reduced by more than half when traditional/recommended fluid is flushed and replaced early (a year or less in a new or repaired system). This is my experience with more than a dozen vehicles over 30 years, with and without using synthetic ATF, but also with coolers installed on most of the trucks. I've used only Amsoil and Mobil 1 synthetics, so can't comment on any of the others.
dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com
Old 08-18-2017, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
clip... I do not recommend using synthetic ATF in place of OEM recommended power steering fluid. My reason for discussing it is purely anecdotal personal experience. I use it, and have had excellent results... clip
I normally recommend stuff I've found that works as well as or provides an advantage over the factory equivalent.

Additional discussion on PS fluid.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...steering+fluid