TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2017 - TDP's 21st Anniversary
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > Chevrolet & GMC 2500HD/3500 Light Trucks > 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain Discussion Forum for the 2001 & newer 2500HD/3500 Trucks, Transmissions & Drivetrain

Old 05-21-2017, 02:10 PM
Enthusiast

Default Frame rust

Hi all,

Given that I've sunk a giant pile of cash into keeping my truck on the road for another decade I'm now getting nervous about the state of the frame.

I've got some rust above the wheel wells on the body, both sides. Ugly but I can deal with that.

Frame rust etc, to me it looks like surface rust. Still needs dealing but just thinking of best way to approach it.

Here's some pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/1TcoZDgJVL7XXTnd8

You can see the fuel tank strap has busted, I'll replace that.

My current plan is to get a pressure washer underneath and try to blast out what I can (without trashing the brake lines etc) then do a quick wire brush underneath where i can access... Then spray on a coat of rust converter.

In the fall I'm going to pull the bed off the truck so I can cut the bad sections of wheel well off and weld in patch panels (heh... wish me luck). While the bed is off I'm going to do a proper job and wire wheel / rust convert / prime and paint all the surfaces.

Thoughts? Process? Does this look normal and not dangerous to most?

Much appreciated!

Gary Lucas
Old 05-21-2017, 05:57 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_lucas View Post
Hi all,

Much appreciated!

Gary Lucas
That's not rust, it's patina .

Suggest you peruse the site at "eastwood.com". They specialize in automotive coatings and preparation chemicals. Have used them for years with great success. Living in the "rust belt" in Canada, am always chasing rust.

Bill
06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (finally got all the bugs worked out)
Old 05-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Enthusiast

Check out POR15 products (paint over rust). You can brush it on, or thin and spray.

Bob
tufcj
Old 08-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_lucas View Post
Hi all,

Given that I've sunk a giant pile of cash into keeping my truck on the road for another decade I'm now getting nervous about the state of the frame.

I've got some rust above the wheel wells on the body, both sides. Ugly but I can deal with that.

Frame rust etc, to me it looks like surface rust. Still needs dealing but just thinking of best way to approach it.

Here's some pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/1TcoZDgJVL7XXTnd8

You can see the fuel tank strap has busted, I'll replace that.

My current plan is to get a pressure washer underneath and try to blast out what I can (without trashing the brake lines etc) then do a quick wire brush underneath where i can access... Then spray on a coat of rust converter.

In the fall I'm going to pull the bed off the truck so I can cut the bad sections of wheel well off and weld in patch panels (heh... wish me luck). While the bed is off I'm going to do a proper job and wire wheel / rust convert / prime and paint all the surfaces.

Much appreciated!

Gary Lucas
A good powerwash would be a good start, then once it has had a chance to completely dry... Locate a spray bottle - like an Armoral bottle or some other that has an adjustable position nozzle. Create a mixture of 50% used motor oil (from your diesel truck - the blacker the better) and a solvent that can evaporate (I use diesel fuel). Then spray the rusty areas on your truck's frame and suspension. I try to keep it off any rubber components (i.e. brake hoses/rotors, motor mounts, body mounts, etc.) If it drips you're using way too much. You may need to retreat the affected areas once per year, but the oil will prevent further rusting and the black sooty oil film will look like undercoating the day after treatment. Try it on a remote location as a test. I am always amazed at how well it works. So easy, so cheap, and so effective.

I learned about this trick many years ago while talking to an upper midwest fleet mechanic. He told me they treated beneath all of their vehicles once per year to keep them from melting into the ground due to the gawd-awful road de-icer. GM's chassis, drive-train and body engineers should have to look at your photos every single day...

Last edited by More Power; 08-20-2017 at 01:35 PM.