Thread: Just got back

Default Just got back

I ran up to Oregon from Sacramento in the last couple of days. I've made the run numerous times. This time I started using some fuel additive I bought from some diesel company (Kennedy Smile). So this was the first trip with the additive and hoped it'd clean up and run better.

'07 LBZ with 175,000 on the clock, towing a duel axle single car hauler trailer. Had 2-3,000# loaded on it. It was a large steel shed that was a flat surface. 10.5 MPG going up. One full tank from home to Klamath Falls.

Unloaded trailer and drove down the hill to home. 18.5. I've never gotten better than 17, without anything attached. Still had over 1/2 tank left and I had an empty trailer on the back.

I'm thrilled but am interested in how it all shakes out. Hopefully, this 750 mile round trip will have done all the cleaning necessary and I'll be able to report on what has changed.

gimpy,

Hate to rain on your parade, but, K Falls to Sac is mostly down hill. Kind of like ging to Reno. Coming back is always better on the milage.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
    Hate to rain on your parade, but, K Falls to Sac is mostly down hill. Kind of like going to Reno. Coming back is always better on the milage.

Of course I understand. I didn't make myself clear. 18.5 was about 1-1.5 mpg better towing the empty trailer than I had ever gotten with just 4 wheels driving that same southern direction.

I used to be happy getting 17 mpg going south before this trip. I am always on cruise and almost always at 62 mph about 1550-1600 RPM when towing. I must admit, I am always 3 mph over the posted speed limit when I'm not towing. So there is that.

And yes I know the trip to and from Reno well. I sold my 86 El Camino and bought my LBZ because The El Camino didn't have the power to tow a 4x8 light duty utility trailer with a Polaris Ranger over the hill. Smile