Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2005 K3500 LLY Low Coolant message

Not sure where the red sheen comes from I don't see it. What I do see is typical oil weep from the intake due to the closed PCV system. Perfectly normal and perfectly harmless if that is what it is.

Water pump is one of the most common leaks and unfortunately often a symptom of a head gasket issue and over pressurization of the system.

On the bleeding:

The bleeder on the stat housing is there as a quick air purge for filling. I fill the tank and wait for discharge here then plug it. I then fill the tank a couple of inches above the midline and go for a drive. Stats open, system burps, and air travels to the tank lowering the level to final level. Let the system cool and top off to just above the midline.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    Not sure where the red sheen comes from I don't see it. What I do see is typical oil weep from the intake due to the closed PCV system. Perfectly normal and perfectly harmless if that is what it is.

Water pump is one of the most common leaks and unfortunately often a symptom of a head gasket issue and over pressurization of the system.

On the bleeding:

The bleeder on the stat housing is there as a quick air purge for filling. I fill the tank and wait for discharge here then plug it. I then fill the tank a couple of inches above the midline and go for a drive. Stats open, system burps, and air travels to the tank lowering the level to final level. Let the system cool and top off to just above the midline.
    Yup, showed it to my mechanic and he said the same thing regarding the oil. He's not sure if can do the job (not a diesel tech...) He's going to ask around and either find someone who can for a recommendation or study up / borrow tools from someone who's done it before, it's an open question but neither of us think it's something that needs to be done immediately.

I may pull the shroud this weekend and see what I can see with that thing out of the way. Rick (mechanic) said he put it on a hoist and had a look from underneath and he's fairly sure it's coming from the weep hole on the water pump but couldn't get a good look at it. He's 90% sure, we'll have to do a little more investigation to get to 100%.

In terms of pressure in the cooling system, he said he can't detect anything abnormal... How do you detect / measure pressure in the cooling system while the engine is running?
    GMC Sierra 2500hd 2004.5 now with ARP studs

The problem is that now it will not make a lot of pressure because it leaks. They do make a tracer dye that works in coolant. You could add some and then use a black light to trace back to the source.

It could be that the pump just leaks and that is that. Then again it could be related to a head gasket issue. About the only way is to add a psi gauge somewhere. You could pull the bleeder out and tap in there for simplest, but again it will just push past the water pump if that is what is leaking.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

ongoing frustration.

So, water pump is still leaking, but it's no more than a tablespoon or two on any given day, and then only when I've had it out long enough to warm up.

We've take the trailer out twice since then, I just make sure to top up the coolant first.

However today was a disaster.

I was on a 2 hour high way drive, and the engine coolant temperature (as measured on my Insight) started spiking, it hit 250 and set off the DIC alarm... I immediatly pulled over... Then let it cool down.

The highway I was on wasn't very hilly, there were a couple of slightly steep grades but nothing substantial. I should have learned my lesson then... howver I thought: "Well, if I go slower, put my hazards on and keep it to 80kph or less I should be fine."

Previously whenever my truck started getting hot, I just let off on the fuel and it's fine within 10 minutes, however doing 60kph in a much, much hillier stretch and the coolant spiked to 260 very quickly. I had to pull over again, I ended having the trailer towed back and driving back home.

Truck was running fine if it's not pulling up a grade.

Time to do some research, my trailer is 9500lbs and the grade really isn't substantial... I've pulled up much steeper without issues before...

Edits:
    =================
    1 The actual hilly section where the 2nd overheat happened was really not that steep, it was fairly long... I was doing about 70kph.
    2 When I pulled over It just happened to be on the same pullout where a tow truck driver was waiting for a tow truck... To tow him, so he used hsi radio to get us help.
    3 the Tow truck that eventually hauled my trailer back to storage was the same goddamn truck that I Have (2004.5 lly) except it was a DRW.
    Gary
    Last edited by gary_lucas; 08-08-2014 at 22:40.

Previous owner had this thing on it:

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Grill...eid=2004634805

Pulled that this morning, should improve airflow a little. Spoke to a few people and most people assume it's a thermostat issue. Truck seems fine to drive normally, it's just highway pulling and moderate grades that cause the issue. I also saw a p0046 on the insight yesterday. But that is probably unrelated.

G

DId you ever figure out what the issue is?

My truck has been every now and then blowing coolant out the overflow into a bottle I have attached. However, I never have the hard upper radiator hose issue
    2005 Chevrolet LLY
    213k miles
    LBZ Turbo MP
    Alto C1&C2 clutches
    Precision Industries Torque Converter
    Kennedy Twin Lift Pump
    TransGo Shift Kit
    EFI Live
    EGR Disable

Default Sorry to be the pessimist...

If it's pushing past the cap it's really hard for it to be anything other than a head gasket issue.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens93 View Post
    DId you ever figure out what the issue is?

My truck has been every now and then blowing coolant out the overflow into a bottle I have attached. However, I never have the hard upper radiator hose issue
    A broken pressure cap can cause it. They're cheap. Otherwise, like John said, head gasket(s).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com