Thread: Code P0380 ???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question

I have a 2002 K2500HD and This code is buggung me. I tested the glow plugs and checked the main power wire into the controller and they are all good. The Dealer is saying that this code is a charging problem are they feeding me bull or what??? and is this covered under the 100,000 mile warrenty
    Brandon Wilson<br />AGE Ranger<br />2002 K2500HD 6SPD CC SB,

Service manual says p0380-Glow Plug Feedback Circuit. Check for "the glow plug output feed wire nut and battery feed wire nut at relay should be checked for proper torque{44 lb in} and for corrosion. Also make sure relay is not stuck on.I have manuals so if i can help further please advise.To clear code you need scan tool or 40 consecutive warm-ups with no failures.Good news.

Question

Well today I started it up and driving around town and looked to see no SES light. Now it is intermit. I hope this doesn't come back again. Thanks for all the help.
    Brandon Wilson<br />AGE Ranger<br />2002 K2500HD 6SPD CC SB,

madmatt Guest

yes this would be covered under warr. what your dealer is taliking about I belive is bulletin# PIT3121. this bulletin does refer to a no charge condition but the p0380 glow plug code is usually accompanied by a p0621 charging system code. I'd suspect your glow plug controller is sticking. i've had several p0380s and all were repaired w/ a new controller. any more questions, let me know. heres a excert from the bulletin that may help you understand how this code is set and how it possiblly affects your charging system...

Following published diagnostics for DTC P0380, P0621 or a no charge condition may lead to unnecessary generator or ECM replacement. You should first check the 175-amp battery fuse. If the 175-amp battery fuse OR circuit 506 is open, no voltage will be present on circuit 506 at the PCM. This will cause the P0380 to set. The ECM monitors the glow plug signal using circuit 506. The ECM expects to see battery voltage on circuit 506 when the glow plugs are commanded on. If no voltage is present on circuit 506, the ECM will stop sending the turn on voltage to the generator L terminal circuit 25, causing the no charge condition and the P0621 to set.