Thread: Loud truck...

Default Loud truck...

When I bought my truck it had a dual exhaust from MBRP already installed.

This thing is loud at highway speeds, there's no muffler in there at all. There does seem to be a catalytic converter.

Ideally I'd like to return it to stock, but if there's a cheaper way to get it to be quiet I'd be open to that.

Any thoughts?

I'm checking out the local wrecking yard to see what I can get there.

Looks like I've got one of these, but not sure which.

http://mbrpautomotive.com/index.php?...ust+Cool+Duals

G
    GMC Sierra 2500hd 2004.5 now with ARP studs

Default Craigslist

Gary, I see people selling their stock exhaust systems all of the time on Craigslist. Often for $100 to $200 complete front to rear. You could also list your system on Craigslist and look for someone that wants to trade their stock system for your modified system. Additionally, you could look for a 2006 LBZ air filter assembly. People put on aftermarket air filters and take whatever they can get for the original air filter. If you look under Duramax parts you won't believe what you will find for sale.
    I am glad you found the overheating problem on your truck.

Good luck
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

My 06 has same system but with the muffler in it. I get just a slight drone pulling heavy at 65/70 but nothing I can't live with. You might just get the muffler and add it.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
    My 06 has same system but with the muffler in it. I get just a slight drone pulling heavy at 65/70 but nothing I can't live with. You might just get the muffler and add it.
    I would totally do that.

So did you buy it as a kit or buy a muffler and weld it in yourself?

If so which muffler?

G

a5150nut

I had a closer look at the kit on the web page.

I see that it actually comes with a muffler (admittedly, a very small one), I loaned the truck to my father and when I get it back I'll take another look and see what's on my truck. It seems insanely loud. With the windows down it's pretty loud... At highway speed the cabin ambient noise is quite a bit louder than my friends stock truck.

Mine was on the truck when I bought it. I was thinking about removing the muffler but after crossing this country a few time In it, I'll leave her alone.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Arrow

Just install a larger muffler. Any of the 4" aftermarket mufflers should fit. If quiet is your goal, the Banks systems are the quietest I've heard, but most should do well. The size of the muffler is an indicator of how quiet it might be. Just explain to the person on the phone that quiet is your goal.

For a stock airbox, locate one of the larger auto recycling centers near you. They'll have an online presense, and you can order online or over the phone. That's how I bought a string of stock parts for my Lil Red project some years ago.

Try the muffler, but in my experience I can "feel" the duals even the Banks at startup. There is just that much more pipe back there to resonate.

Length and diameter (volume) are keys to muffler sound reduction. MBRP historically has the lowest volume and a louder sound as they typically use a 6" diameter pipe as the shell where others use more in the 9" range.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Had a busy couple of weeks, finally remembered to look under there.

There's definitely no muffler, I think they replaced it with this piece:

http://mbrpautomotive.com/index.php?...s&part=MDDAL27

So should be pretty straightforward to replace with anything off the shelf.

Doesn't look like MBRP sells the dual exhaust muffler which I assume would be a direct drop in replacement... So need to do some cutting I presume.

Thanks all, I'll be needing to do a little research...

G

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    Try the muffler, but in my experience I can "feel" the duals even the Banks at startup. There is just that much more pipe back there to resonate.

Length and diameter (volume) are keys to muffler sound reduction. MBRP historically has the lowest volume and a louder sound as they typically use a 6" diameter pipe as the shell where others use more in the 9" range.
    "Lowest volume and loudest sound" had me confused for a moment

It doesn't need to be super quiet, I think any muffler on there will probably solve my problem

G

So I found a decent 4" magnaflow.

It's a little quieter, maybe 50%, I wasn't particularly happy with it at first... But after taking the trailer down to Deception Pass I was pretty happy with the overall result... Still not nearly as quiet as stock...

Mileage seems to be slightly higher, but that could be me driving like an ******* too.

One O' these days I will track down a fully stock exhaust system and just replace all the stuff the original owner did. My friends truck runs so much quieter.

---
    PS, unrelated... But the wife has been driving the truck... 3 years, not a scratch... 2nd day... Wife turns too tight into the pillar in OUR parking spot... Ugh... :'(

Quote Originally Posted by gary_lucas View Post

---
    PS, unrelated... But the wife has been driving the truck... 3 years, not a scratch... 2nd day... Wife turns too tight into the pillar in OUR parking spot... Ugh... :'(
    When my wife is going to drive my K3500 I always reminder her it has wide hips.
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
    When my wife is going to drive my K3500 I always reminder her it has wide hips.
    I do that too... But she didn't listen, she was more concerned about dinging the commuter car so she turned left into the pillar.

I sanded it down, and painted it with the stock GM black... There's still a dent but at least it shouldn't rust.