Thread: Newbie LBZ owner with P0087 Code

Default Newbie LBZ owner with P0087 Code

Hello
    I just purchased a 07 GMC Sierra 2500 147K that has been sitting for weeks. It wouldn't start for the transport guy but I got it to start after the 3rd attempt. Each time I would crank a short while (didn't want to overheat the starter) and the 3rd time it caught. After that it started fine but codes for the cyl 3 and 5 glow plug came on and code P0087 for fuel rail low pressure. I cleared them and drove for about 15 minutes and only P0087 came back on. It seemed to drive fine around town and when I accelerated hard to get on highway the exhaust blew some black smoke. I am new to duramaxes and see they have many sources of leaks and some say a need for a lift pump.

I took it to a well-known diesel shop and the tech plugged up his laptop and showed me the fuel rail pressure wouldn't go about 9K whether he revved it or commanded higher pressure from his laptop. The CEL light was not on since I cleared it that morning before the drive. He said it needs new CP3 and scheduled a day for replacement (2K). On the drive home the CEL light came on and although it felt fine on the highway it was sluggish around the town driving and fuel rail pressure would not go above 11K. I cleared the code and it drove okay but I parked it (didn’t' check rail pressure though).

A day before repair day I wanted to make sure it started and ran it with the scanner plugged in and could get pressure up to 15K and went driving and saw pressure as high as 21K. I emailed the tech and he said that it isn't the pump and to keep driving it and monitor the values. He didn't want to change the filter because it looked new but I think I will now first.

The fuel filter head/primer assembly looks newer, the bleed screw looks new and the tech crawled underneath and said it looks like the previous owner tried looking for solutions because the shield around the tank looks like it has been tampered with.

Before you buy anything talk to John Kennedy and read the P0087 posts here on the DP. There have been over 100k hits on the P0087 DP post. It is not easy to put your finger on the cause of a P0087 code. Kennedy is a advertiser on the DP and is probably the most knowledgeable person you will find on the subject.
    Good luck
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

I'd wager a pretty substantial dollar that it is NOT the CP3.

Likely cause of the hard/no start is loss of prime and/or plugged filter.

9k max could be same or weak relief valve.

Weak relief valve is caused by pressure cycling due to restricted filter or pushing the limits with tuning AND the lack of a lift pump.

Lots of info on my Tech Tips.

Sounds like you may need to check and possibly undo some of the "fixes" that were applied. It could be so simple as that the previous owner installed a "race plug" in the rail and it is leaking due to improper seating...

It all starts here:

Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!