Thread: diesel conversion in a full size jeep

Default diesel conversion in a full size jeep

hello there, i'm Patrick, i just bought a 1985 full size Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    my question is i want to possibly convert it over to diesel if i could possibly
    do it what could i use, cummins,Power Stroke with turbo,or Gm diesel 6.2
    6.5 or the Duramax which one could i use and does each engine have it's
    own setup, can somebody please help me with this project.

Hi Bug
    There have been a couple of Jeeps done with a 6.5 that have been members here.
    You can use any of the motors you listed,just depends on your mechanical ability.The easist will be the 6.2 or 6.5 with a mechanical injection pump.The cummins will be harder to fit into the engin compartment.The duramax requires computers that will have to be intergrated into the jeeps wiring system.And the power stroke is a little bigger than the 6.2/6.5 and will have a computer to run it as well.
    6.2/6.5 parts are cheeper than the rest.I would look for a 93 GM pickup it was the last year with a mechanical pump and had the 6.5 with a turbo.Buy a complete running truck is the best,use what you need and sell the rest for parts and you could get your money back.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

The 6.2/6.5 goes in with the same mounts that you would use for a SBC, so you get a set from Novak or Advance and save some fab work.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...