Thread: Steyr monoblock

Default Steyr monoblock

I was looking at some back issues from DIESEL POWER MAGAZINE and came across an article of a military hummer like vehicle that uses a 3.2 liter Steyr monoblock 6 cylinder for power. Doing some searching they are used in the marine industry like the 6.5 and the military vehicle uses an allison tranny. Does anybody have any experience with these? Would this be a viable alternative to a 6.5 power wise like in a 1ton truck? 250hp and 300ft-lb if I remember correctly. I am assuming the fuel could be turned up.

Quote Originally Posted by stroh View Post
    I was looking at some back issues from DIESEL POWER MAGAZINE and came across an article of a military hummer like vehicle that uses a 3.2 liter Steyr monoblock 6 cylinder for power. Doing some searching they are used in the marine industry like the 6.5 and the military vehicle uses an allison tranny. Does anybody have any experience with these? Would this be a viable alternative to a 6.5 power wise like in a 1ton truck? 250hp and 300ft-lb if I remember correctly. I am assuming the fuel could be turned up.
    250-hp is quite a lot for a 3.2L diesel.... Otherwise, if the engine was never emissions certified for on-road use by the EPA, getting the re-engined vehicle registered in some states might be a challenge. I suspect in most states it wouldn't be a problem, though technically not permitted by the EPA.

Jim