Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer case leak repair?

Jim
    Yes I have searched this forum and found the post with the bolts problem at the torquec converter.
    If that were the problem in this case, would the leak be somewhere else?
    I am taking it in today to get a the problem diagnosed at my service dept. and will report there findings.
    Thanks again for your help and education.
    Steve
    2001 2500HD Crew Cab SWB Western Diesel Chip, Fumoto, K&G air filter, Ranch Hand

Arrow

Mentioning a bolt leak behind the Allison torque converter was only intended to illustrate a problem somewhat similar to yours, and provide information that might solve your transfer case leak problem....

Jim

In the above photo the spring that came loose or broke off wore a small hole at the indention left and back there you see the wear.

Above and close to the center of the photo you can see the hole about 3 inches above the 3rd bolt and right below the dirtiest part of the case.
    Just picked up truck from service dept. with a $1,280 bill.
    The problem was a spring came loose from fluid pump inside the transfer case and caused the tention to wear a small hole in the rear half of the transfer case at the drive shaft.

Steve

[ 01-28-2006, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Renomax2001 ]
    Last edited by More Power; 08-08-2006 at 12:48.
    2001 2500HD Crew Cab SWB Western Diesel Chip, Fumoto, K&G air filter, Ranch Hand

mattb5150 Guest

Thumbs down

This is the known problem reported here in the past. I have the same problem fixed with JB Weld by the dealer that is not holding(slowly leaking again). I guess GM expects us to put up with these defects before 100k miles when my 1993 x-case has 250k miles with no problems.

sjd_sd Guest

my 2002 2500hd had a leak which the dealer claimed came from the seals. They replaced these, and a few days later it started to leak again. This time they said it came from an "upper" seal. In all they charged me $1100. After having it back for a few more days, more leaks. Now they found a "hairline crack" and wanted $1400 for a new housing. I couldn't take it anymore so I pulled the truck out of the dealer and went by the local transmission shop. He found a pin-hole in about 30 seconds which looked like some problem with the way the metal was formed. This mechanic kept it for a day and put some "liquid metal" in the hole. It's been fine ever since and he didn't charge me anything. I would rather drink gear oil than go back to a dealer.

DA BIG ONE Guest

Perhaps, a new unit maybe a better choice!

http://www.transfercases.com/

Default Putty redone by dealer

Well the t-case started leaking again, drips all over driveway and dirt sticking to the back of the truck and shell. Crawled under and the JB weld was still in place and didn't have a hole bored thru it like I thought it would, so I touched the blob and it moved. Unpeeled it from the case, I guess the fluid forced it off and started leaking again. So I took it back to the dealer for my free fix because it hadn't been 12 months since the last time. Also needed the rear pinion seal replaced for the second time in 99k miles.

Service writer tells me that GM wants them to use a new putty and the truck has to sit over the weekend with a heater nearby (shoplight) to dry due to cold wet weather. We'll see what happens. If this doesn't work I don't think I'll take it back to them again, too much hassle to have the truck gone. Think I'll just keep doing this putty stuff bu do it myself a couple times a year. BTW the service writer told me no one has come back again after having this putty put on their case.

Matt
    mattb5150@hotmail.com

1993 K2500 HD ext.cab 4x4 - SOLD

2003 GMC K2500HD SLT EXTRA CAB/SB DMAX/ALLI, Bilsteins, Sulastic Shackles, Pitman & Idler braces, KD Headlight Harness, CAT filtration, Lift pump w/KD harness, Denali Door handles, Yukon exterior mirrors

2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Stoopider FAST

1996 VW Passat TDI 48mpg - SOLD

Mattb, there is a broken clip inside the TC that is wearing the whole in the case.

The fix is a new rear case half and clip. I would have the dealer do the repair right.

There are trucks out there that are destroying transfer cases because they are loosing fluid through these wear holes. It is more of a problem than people think.
    2003 Chev 2500HD LT D/A EC LB Pewter, 2005 Cardinal 27RK, my other 6.6L, 1967 Chevelle SS

SS I know about the shaft wearing thru the case, GM will not fix this and I'm not going to pay the dealer $1000 to replace the rear case half I can't afford that.

Matt B.
    mattb5150@hotmail.com

1993 K2500 HD ext.cab 4x4 - SOLD

2003 GMC K2500HD SLT EXTRA CAB/SB DMAX/ALLI, Bilsteins, Sulastic Shackles, Pitman & Idler braces, KD Headlight Harness, CAT filtration, Lift pump w/KD harness, Denali Door handles, Yukon exterior mirrors

2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Stoopider FAST

1996 VW Passat TDI 48mpg - SOLD

Matt, sorry about your problems.

Have you checked with a regular repair shop? I just think it will only get worse.

I am fortunate I have mechanical skills so I would fix my own, if you have those skills or know someone who does, that's another option. I don't think it's all that difficult to replace the case half, and a lot cheaper to do it yourself.

Good luck.
    2003 Chev 2500HD LT D/A EC LB Pewter, 2005 Cardinal 27RK, my other 6.6L, 1967 Chevelle SS

Courious. I was under the impression that I could use Transynd in the transfer case. Is that correct?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by conway
    Courious. I was under the impression that I could use Transynd in the transfer case. Is that correct?
    Transynd is a Dexron III ATF, which is the spec. requirement for the TC. Synthetic ATF is a very good idea for your TC.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Replacement Cases

http://www.transfercases.com/

Got a new NP246 from them at 1/3 rd dealer price!
    99 GMC SUB, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F) #H32 enhanced blk, Phaser timing set, B&D IC, 3" ATS exh, K&N w/prefilter, 4WD NVG 246, 4L80E kevlar Transgo off road/tow mods/B&M supercooler, 14 FF MagTec w/locker 3.42:1, 9.25" IFS frt/diff 3.42:1 w/ARB locker, AutoMeter Boost & pre-turbo pyro meter, 12,000 lb hydro winch, Warn classic bumper w/brushguard & diesel scoop, Max E-torq Stage 3, hi pop inj, oil bypass sys, on board air comp for front ARB locker & tire inflation, DynaView driving/auto-cornering lts, DZ nerfs, A/T 285/75/16 SilentArmor 3750 lb rated on 3750 lb rated Alcoa, 3 IP drivers 2 r spares.

Unhappy Transfer Case leak?????

Went on a 400 mile trip with no load and when I returned home and parked the truck for a few hours, later found oil on the floor around rear axle -- after further investagation found that it came from the transfer case and blowed back to the rear of the truck. Looks to be coming from the seam on the passenger side of the case. Changed the fluid to see how much fluid I actually lost drained out 1.5 quarts and fill with new 2.0 quarts cleaned up case and checked to see if the bolts were loose bolts seem to be tight. Went for a 20 mile drive and rechecked for leak and there it was still leaking. Done a search on forum and found that other dmax owners said that thier could be a possible flaw in the case anybody know if GM is working to repair?????????????

Default Leak

I meet a chap this summer while having my oil changed, his was leaking and they found a small hole in the case. The dealer said it looked like a casting defect.
    2003 GMC 3500HD D/A, EC/LB, 4x4

Thumbs down

IIRC, there is a clip that helps hold the pump in place that can break and let the pump rub on the inside of the transfer case eventually causing a tiny hole in the area you have described. Some people have patched it using JB Weld, some have had a welder patch it, others have bought new/used transfer cases since theirs had no fluid in it by the time they found out. I am not sure of the best fix (if there even is one), but try using the search feature and maybe you can get more info. Sorry for the bad news.....

Take a look here......

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...+TRANSFER+CASE

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...+TRANSFER+CASE
    Last edited by redrider#1; 08-08-2006 at 11:56.
    2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A
    Crew cab
    4x4
    Long bed
    Red(of course)
    Uniroyal Liberator A/T 285/75/16's
    Bilsteins
    Edge Juice w/Attitude

2003 CRF450-mine
    2004 CRF150-wife
    2003 XR70-daughter
    2001 XR50-son
    Yeah, we like the Hondas

Red and MP have the answer. I discovered mine leaking a couple weeks ago during a oil change. New case half should be here today. Looks to me like JB weld or similar would only be a temporary fix. It would wear through soon without that metal tab to protect it.
    2002 Chev D/A CC LB - it's gone

Default Transfer Case Leak result

Well dealer said GM would agree to pay 1/2 the cost to replace the back half of the transfer case -- total cost 750.00 my cost sould be around 325.00 not bad for 3 years out of warrrenty

Thumbs up

Well, I am glad you got at least some satisfaction out of the resolution and that your dealer is willing to do at least that much for you.
    2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A
    Crew cab
    4x4
    Long bed
    Red(of course)
    Uniroyal Liberator A/T 285/75/16's
    Bilsteins
    Edge Juice w/Attitude

2003 CRF450-mine
    2004 CRF150-wife
    2003 XR70-daughter
    2001 XR50-son