Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My conversion

Well I finally took the BURB on her first road trip this week. I sold a transfer case I had to a guy in North Carolina and the wife wanted to see snow. So we loaded up the BURB with clothes, us, transfer case, and the 2 dogs and headed north. All in all the trip went as smooth as could be other than now I have to go wash all the salt off and it's barely 40 degrees here. We traveled almost 1800 miles and I averaged 20.005 MPG for the whole trip. The milage really dropped off when the sun would go down and the air temps dropped as my EGT's would go up about 20-50 degrees at night and my boost would go up .5-1 pound as well. I figured I was getting close to 23 during the day driving, but at night it would drop off to about 18. Only needed the 4 wheel drive for a short stretch to get up to OBER GATLINBURG as she was fishtailing pretty bad going up those steep roads. I was also pleasantly surprised by how well she started in the cold. I wasnt able to plug in the block heater, but after sitting overnight it had warmed up to about 8 degrees at the motel we were at Friday Morning and she fired right up without hardly any smoke at all. Now I need to go clean her up, but heres a cold start video for you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KybncEUsN0
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, 3.42 gears, 261 T-case
    Trans has a mild build with ALOT of help from MIKE L. which included ALTO's for C1-C4 and a PI ML converter
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust with a CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, EFILIVE, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

I just want to say you've done a great write up on this!

We are currently swapping out a 454 in a 98 Chevy 3500 4x4 to an 07 Duramax. We ordered the conversion manual but I have a question that I couldnt find answered.

How did you go about hooking up the gauges? On the 454 the senders (fuel, oil, coolant etc) go directly to the gauge cluster. But it looks like on the Duramax the senders go to the computer then to the cluster. Are the signals compatible? I wasnt sure if the sending units have the same resistance and would read correctly.

Thanks again!

Les

On the 01-02 DMAX it uses the same oil pressure sending unit as the older 6.5's and such did, so that one was easy. The coolant temp sender for the guage was remote mounted to a tee between the engine and heater core as I couldn't find an easily accessible location to tap and put it into the block after I had it swapped in. Later model trucks run both through the ECM before the cluster, so you would have to add in both sending units if you retain your stock guages.
    Trans has a mild build with ALOT of help from MIKE L. which included ALTO's for C1-C4 and a PI ML converter
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust with a CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, EFILIVE, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Well just about done with this swap but a quick question. The computer isnt commanding the compressor on when I hit the button but can command it with the scan tool.

The Lt Green wire from the AC switch goes through a high pressure cutout switch then to the AC request at the computer. But the Duramax is different. So did you just wire the AC switch into Drk Green/Wht computer wire for the compressor relay control?

Thanks

Les
    Western Corvette Service and Performance Ltd.
    Calgary AB, Canada
    403-255-2111
    [URL="http://www.westerncorvette.com"]www.westerncorvette.com[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by westerncorvette View Post
    Well just about done with this swap but a quick question. The computer isnt commanding the compressor on when I hit the button but can command it with the scan tool.

The Lt Green wire from the AC switch goes through a high pressure cutout switch then to the AC request at the computer. But the Duramax is different. So did you just wire the AC switch into Drk Green/Wht computer wire for the compressor relay control?

Thanks

Les
    I used the origanal signal wire from the BURBS A/C control to trigger the ECM, and hooked in the DURAMAX's low and high pressure cut-off switches like they would be in a stock DMAX. I believe this was the wire that origanally triggerred teh A/C clutch relay is the one I hooked to the ECM trigger wire as the 6.5 used the low pressure switch to contro lthe clutch and teh DMAX uses the relay.

Hello.

First of all I must say you have done a really good job on your conversion, it is a real "sleeper". It was a great inspiration for me to do the same.
    You are probably tired of answering the many questions about the Dmax conversion, but I do not know if anyone else has so much knowledge about this as what you have.
    As to the question. I am planning to put a dmax in my 1999 Chevy K3500 6.5 td, and I have a cheap 2006 Chevrolet Express on hand, with the lly engine and 4l85e transmission. So there I was wondering, is there any special considerations must be taken since it is a lly engine from a Chevy Express and not a lb7 from a pick-up? And wondered whether the lly engine has other motormount and is larger or higher than lb7 engine so it will be harder to fit?

I actually think it will be an advantage to using this solution since the original transfer case will bolt right on, and it will be easier to get 4 wheel drive to work ( lever in the floor), or what do you think?

Sorry if the english is bad (from Norway)

Thanks in advance.

The 06 van engine is basically an LBZ, but the ECM is pinned differently due to the 4L85E trans. The trans will be your limiting factor though as teh 4L85E just can't handle alot of torque. There will be some pretty big differrences between teh van and the truck engine though as far as teh plumbing goes as teh intake is completely different between the two. Member pussow at thedieselplace.com has done the van engine into an 86 body style truck and would no alot more about the mounting differences.