Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 6.2 to a 6.5TD swap

I started putting things together today and ran into another issue I was wondering if any one had experience with. The banks upper plenum/pressure chamber unit has a round opening at the base with a round gasket, My 6.5 F spec intake manifold is more squared up...the two do not match up. I called banks and they seemed kinda confused, thinking that all intakes were round. Any thoughts? I did get all the injector lines installed and the intake manifold bolted up. Why is there, what appears to be, coolant ports that come from the heads and dead head against the intake manifold? I put the same gasket sealant stuff just around those ports that I used on my water pump and left the rest of the gasket dry. hopefully that is correct. Thanks!
    85 crew cab one ton, 4x4. 6.2 diesel w/ 4 speed manual. Ranger overdrive/gear splitter installed. 2" rough country lift kit.

Arrow

The 6.2L (and 6.5L N/A) and 6.5TD intake manifolds will fit on either. However, the intake plumbing that attaches to them is different. You need a 6.2L intake manifold to match your Banks 6.2L inlet. Or, use 6.5L intake plumbing, and hose couplings to connect the turbo to the 6.5L intake.

The 6.2L and 6.5L heads are universal (with coolant ports at both ends). Meaning, they can be used on either side. The "blanked" coolant ports are normal. The newer head gaskets address this much better than past gaskets, and should eliminate the pitting that was once common.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I'm referring to a rectangular port in the middle of the head that gets covered by the solid base of the intake manifold...not so much the ports at the ends of the head...or are those the "blanked" ports you are referring to?

I asked Banks about just using the 6.5 upper intake and guy thought it would be to restrictive. It's a lot shallower than the Banks unit, not as much volume I'd say. I already got rid of the 6.2 intake, besides that my 6.5 is powder coated and pretty. I'm going to go see a guy tomorrow about making an adapter plate from the 6.5 intake to the banks pressure chamber. I think counter sink the four corner bolt holes and attach it to the intake with machine screws (I think that's what they are called...beveled head and bolt threads) using the 6.5 gasket, then bolt the banks unit on over that with the two center line bolts using the 6.2 gasket. Either that or start scavenging junk yards on line for a j code intake manifold. I appreciate the input. Did you get a good eclipse show where your at?
    85 crew cab one ton, 4x4. 6.2 diesel w/ 4 speed manual. Ranger overdrive/gear splitter installed. 2" rough country lift kit.

Arrow

The center port in the head is EGR. Your F code intake doesn't have EGR, so it's flat. The gasket will seal that hole, so don't worry about it.

I suppose an adapter plate could be made (and would probably work fine), but the "restrictive" and "too little volume" comments is hogwash. The least volume possible is desired, as long as it isn't restrictive. Cross-sectional volume is all that is critical. Too much volume can increase lag and blow-off bark. The 6.5L intake isn't "too restrictive", by any definition, for sane power levels. You are installing a turbo, which negates nearly any issue with N/A intake restrictions and porting. If you do go with an adapter, make sure it seals well, and is thick/heavy enough to withstand the pressure (this applies to the fasteners, as well).

Not much for the eclipse where I am. Too far south. The eclipse looked like a cookie with a bite out of it, and daylight dimmed a bit, but that was it.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

My new challenge is connecting the 92 type OPS and electric lift pump into the 85 single wire OPS wiring harness. I've got a pigtail with three wires hanging off it to plug into the OPS. If I understand correctly one wire will hook to a 12v power source, another will tie into the solenoid and the third one will tie into the single wire of the existing wiring harness/dash guage. The big mystery is which wire is which. the pig tail has three black wires, so not color coded. I've attached a picture of the pigtail plug. Anybody know what wire goes where?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a picture of the adapter plate we came up with, I think it will work pretty well. I might get a slight groove machined out around the 6" hole for the gasket to set in so I can be a little more sure it's centered up and sealing. For the time being it'll have to ride.
    On the dual thermostat set up I'm using is there supposed to be a gasket for the housing or are the two rubber o-ring thing things that came with the thermostats all that are used? Does the rubber o-ring sit on one side or the other? there is a groove around the inside of the o-ring that looks like the edge of the thermostat might slide into it. Either way when I put it all together there is a 1/16" of an inch gap between the two housing sections. Do I just tighten it up and force it to close up? Do I use a sealant if I'm just using the rubber O-rings? It's amazing to me how, what I thought would be simple and self explanatory, turns out to be a bit confusing. Thanks for all the help.

Yes, put the t-stats in the grooves of the rubber gaskets, rubber on top and bottom. No other gaskets are required.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

perfect! Thanks.

Did you have to modify the thermostat outlet for your truck?
    I had to, to use the upper dual housing on my crewcab with the original 6.2 the outlet had to have a different angle for the hose to clear.
    You may have to do a little fabricating for your throttle linkage and high idle solenoid.
    I have a dual setup on both NA and turbo'ed engine.On the NA engine i had to rework the angle for the top rad hose and do some work to get the throttle cable hooked up..And on the 97 turbo engine when i changed to mechanical pump i had to move the high idle solenoid and build a bracket for the throttle cable.The upper hose outlet was made for the 97 so the hose route never changed.
    Let me know if you would like to see what i did if you run into issues.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

I appreciate that. The dual T-stat set up I got came with a bracket to line up the throttle cable and instructions on how to modify the existing bracket to make it all work. I'm hoping to get into that this afternoon. I'll certainly get at you if I get in a jam.

Hello yukon6.2, I'd love to see your pictures of your dual t-stat/throttle bracket set up. What I got is not adding up. I'm not seeing how the high idle solenoid is going to fit in the space left over. The included instructions were brief and the reference pictures look like they were copied using the mimeograph machine from my elementary school. Thanks.

Hi 3 on 3
    i just bumped up my thread on doing the conversion modifications.
    Check it out and let me know if i can help with other pic's or whatever.
    If all else fails my conversion truck is down at the moment and i could mail you the stuff to copy if it was sent back.

Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

I had sent an e-mail to kennedy diesel about how this kit was supposed to accomodate the high idle solenoid. Being as I sent it on saturday I did not expect an answer till monday or tuesday, But he responded later that day. Apparently I'm supposed to just ditch the high idle and manually turn the resting idle up to 800 and call it good. So that is what I did. I'd love to look at your thread, but I'm not sure how to find it, I haven't put any effort into it yet though.
    I've been struggling through some of the final details the last few days. The stock diesel return tubing doesn't seem to work very well with the dual t-stats and the Banks turbo sitting to the front of the engine. So I had to fake that, I cut the stock tubing in half, then reworked it a bit with a tubing bender. So its now hose at the top "T" where the IP return dumps in. After installing the adapter plate on the intake my bolts were not long enough to secure the pressure chamber, none of the hardware stores carry a 8mm x 1.25 any longer than I got, so I have to wait till tomorrow to go to a specialty store. Spent all day today trying to remember how the wiring all goes back together, I'm super apprehensive about my ability to figure out crossing over the OPS and alternator wiring into the '85 wiring harness. Yesterday I put oil in it and circulated oil through the engine, I circulated till I had oil coming into the turbo and oil at both the inlet and outlet of the oil cooler, then circulated it for another 5 min. I hope thats enough, I figure if its getting through the cooler it must have worked its way through the engine. I'm kinda of at the scary stage where I'm close to trying to kick it off, but second guessing my work and worrying if I've forgotten something. That was kind of a long post, just sorta sharing where I'm at and fretting out to the internet...and hopefully somebody else will get some use out of all this later on down the road. Thanks for all your help and input.

Here are some pictures of the fuel return chop job. Passenger side, IP return and driver side. Just for fun.

And here's some more...just for fun. First off I used black iron to push the JIC fittings for the oil cooler lines out from the block, making them a little more accesible. Second, what the throttle cable modification and modified coolant thing thing from Kennedy diesel look like after I put it together, pretty clean I think. Third, The banks turbo kit is not quite the exact fit that my novice ass was hoping for. I ended up having to cut that pipe and having a piece of flex pipe welded in to give me the wiggle room needed to make it up. And last but not least, just a picture of the engine in the truck at this point. I've been holding off on the fan and radiator and such because I need that space to stand in still still. Thanks for looking.

3 and 3,
    Looks like some very nice work! Way to go!
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Hi 3x3
    The thread is right under this one now.
    It's called 98 electronic to mechanical swap

Hi 3X3
    By your picture the oil lines look like they are close to the frame.
    How much space do you have under the lines where they cross over the frame?
    Thomas

Yukon, I found the thread, thanks. It turned out looking very nice. I'm not set up for metal work though. I was cutting down my throttle cable bracket with a hacksaw. And there is very minimal space between the frame and the oil lines. I'm guessing that's going to be a problem and I'm going to have to revisit that?

3x3,
    Looks like you could use Black Iron elbows instead of the unions you used and maybe get away from the frame. Of course it is easy for us to "arm chair" advise!
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC