Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How much do you like your 6.5

I love my 6.5 so much that I am going to celebrate by replacing it with a Cummins....
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by sctrailrider View Post
    I love my 6.5 so much that I am going to celebrate by replacing it with a Cummins....
    Thats cold!

Matt
    1993 K2500, 8600gvwr, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F Code), 4L80E, GU6 3.42, G80 Gov Lock. HX35/40 hybrid Turbo, 31"x12"x3" CAC, Peninsular upper intake, IP turned up 3/8 turn, 130gph water pump, 9 blade steel fan, with modified fan clutch for early engage. Diamond Eye 3" DP, with homemade 4" exhaust.

Default Still loving my 6.5s

Been forever ago since I posted here or any forums, I needed to send a message to Robyn and figured best way to get her was here, and stumbled across this thread when changing passwords from long ago.

Last update on my 6.5s was 8-9-2007

As of then to now both mine still up and running strong, the 98 C1500 burb got parked for a few years while doing a body swap (It was a Katrina salvage project) acquired in 2006. 185K on the drive-train trans rebuilt @ 165K when it failed to go in reverse, is only major issue on that one.

And my original 98 K1500 acquired in 2000 still in the game as well MANY MODS that one, stock engine ran from 98 until 2013 and was pulled last July to allow me to install my "project engine" that took 4 years to build (I spend a LOT of time on the road) I'm off to Australia in the morning to work some turbines.

The removed engine is my "running take out" spare for both vehicles now with 225K on engine when removed, project 6.5 has 6500 or so miles on it now, I don't drive it much due to high Diesel fuel costs I've moved back into my 90 4.3L C1500 gasser as my "daily driver".

Trans on the K1500 was rebuilt at 185K thinking I'd have it "fresh" to be paired with the project engine fresh, it didn't turn out that way .

BUT LOVING the 6.5s still to this day......New paint for the K1500 come 1st of the year (sons college tuition put a crimp on "toys" ) I'll run it until it rots away so I say Phooey on Dmax/Common rail/Cummins/Stroke

My best guesstimate to my K1500 is 250-300 rwhp now, based on 200rwhp dyno I had in 2005 pre-ATT install runs, & before installing all bells/whistles with current setup & completed project engine.
    Tim, 98GM K1500 6.5TD(L56/L65), Heath PCM,3.73 gear,4L80 tr,4" exh,Amz air filt&dual oil flts, Heath remote FSD, TDO-7 clone turbo, Heath fan clutch,mandrel crossover, pilar gage BST/EGT/TRN, remote elec fan tran cool,alum trn pan

I wanted to buy a diesel puller for the wife and I to pull a 5th wheel..Ive driven rigs with cats cummins detroits internationals kenworths peterbuilts heavy equipment ect Ford power strokes the list goes on sense 17years of age im 52 now...I was dead set on a power stroke 7.3 2000 drw $$$$....I came across a craigslist ad for a Chevy Silverado AT CC DRW 6.5 t.d. cracked head or blown gasket no water in the oil expanding radiator hose..Test drove it!! I know but i did watch temps...started up and ran like a clock drove like a Cad or more like a Volvo conventional Semi very smooth and comfortable ...went home contemplated the purchase in a brain storm of economic reasoning and my original plan to buy a dually and work on it to get it up to pulling standards I bought it drove it 20 miles home with out a problem the crazy thing is i felt 100% at home with this rig paid $2700. alcoa rims ,new rubber,canopy,tight tranny,new turbo #4 ,banks exhaust ,remote pmd, all came with it pyrometer, boost, full tank of diesel....yeah i did make the right decision without a doubt and i could not be happier. oh 190000 mi truck engine swapped at 128000 with a 2000 block so 62000 mi lower
    Last edited by zrocket; 11-12-2014 at 02:17.

Thumbs up Yeah...I Got's 'Da Sickness !

It's been since the Spring of this year that I came by You Fine Folks,and my '97/ C2500 Chevy Silverado. It's the Standard Cab,2 WD with the 8' Bed. At 274,000 miles,I must be delirious,but dammit,I love it ! I've always enjoyed the older GM Platform,and it's been there for me. I've got dreams of doing the P-400 insertion,and updating the Trans/Rear End for more enjoyable miles. I've learned so much from all of You here. I can't Thank You All Enough ! Merry Christmas,Gang,and here's to "The Road" !
    "God Help Me,I'm Really UpTo My Neck In It Now!"
    Closing In On A 2000 2500 Single Cab With 8'Bed-Base Model,Bone Stock-Good Baseline Starting Point For Me To Start At The Beginning With The 6.5 Turbo

Default Chevrolet silverado k1500 6.2 diesel

silverado 1988 6.2 diesel thermostat 80 degrees mechanical fan that always run my diesel is very good and does not heat wheels .... 33 TH700 transmission oil cooler with additional consumption 7.5 km with one liter of diesel fuel .... ☺ ☺☺
    Last edited by Giusvald; 01-11-2016 at 13:43.

Unhappy

Love my 6.5 just hope it loves me back enough to not die from catastrophic failure
    1996 k2500 extended cab automatic trans electric shift transfer case reman engine with 70,000 miles reman trans 60,000 miles

I like it enough to be building a new Navistar block based engine for the DieselSJ project. And I'm seriously considering building up the 2nd Navistar block to swap into the dually to replace the 454.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

I'm impressed you joined just to rant.

I sold my 6.5 with a quarter million miles on it and it was making 19mpg on worn (original) injectors.

Smile love my 6.5's

I have 260,00 on my 95 and it still runs well but I'm retiring it, I just bought a 1998 cewcab dually and its getting new injectors, glow plugs a relocated PMD and eventually a fluid damper, a set of gauges and an upgraded lift pump. It has only 135,000 on it original. I think its a good engine all cylinders are coming up to 390 except for 5 is at 360?? ... Time will tell but I love the truck. I love the 6.5, especially for all the highway I do.

Default The Ultimate vehicle if you love a 6.5

We are a very small crowd that have owned or currently own 6.2/6.5s and love them, and as far as I'm concerned, because of the vast knowledge I got from you members here at The Diesel Page. I own a couple trucks - one with a 6.2N/A and one with a 6.5N/A that I love and was happy with and never thought I would ever acquire a vehicle that in my opinion, and many others as well, is The ultimate toy with a factory 6.5 I've always stayed with N/As because I would rather use the lower gears if I need more power than deal with any turbo issues. Please excuse me, but I'm turning this reply into a quiz that has only one question and one answer. What is the vehicle that has been seen, identified, and respected by almost every American, is so versatile that it can accommodate up to 8 people, built to carry over 2 tons of payload, can go anywhere - I mean ANYWHERE, (just go on youtube) Also is the most BADASS looking ride a person could have sitting in their neighborhood and probably will be the only one in their neighborhood, and has a 6.2 or 6.5 in it? Answer - (hint) M1123. Nobody, I mean NOBODY loves their 6.5 more than I do my newest one. Period.

Still liking our truck.
    Engine has been trouble free since '04 when the enhanced navistar based unit was installed. Same year and under warranty the injection pump was replaced, that PMD lasted 10 years. THEN I got around to remote mounting the FSD.

Truck still on the road, little more wear and tear all these years later. Spent a large portion of it's life hauling or towing. Now the GPs need replacing, terminals rusting off from rust belt life. Like the interior better than our sons '15 CC, LML but does not tow nearly as good, who'd have figured??

Would like a GV OD, fluid dampener and a set of 18:1s, someday.
    2000 chevy crew cab 4x4 SRW 6.5TD/Auto/4.10s
    2014 Cruze Diesel

I am madly in love with my potato!!! 1995 chevy 4 door dually with the 6.5 and its a choo choo! I love the motor!! I had an 82 and an 88 with the 6.2 and loved them as well.

Reason my 95 is called the potato is because its lowered(choo choo from dealer), wide, ugly as hell(black and gold fade paint job), slow(4:56 rear.. lol), and old....just like me(short, fat, slow, old and still works its butt off....lol).